Mellel, Bookends, and Live Bibliography

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Jon
Site Admin

Mellel, Bookends, and Live Bibliography

Post by Jon »

I'm posting this to alert Mellel users to the new Live Bibliography feature in version 3.0 and later.

No more manual scanning: if you check the Mellel Live Bibliography option, any citations inserted by Bookends (and the bibliography) will instantly be displayed in their final form (well, very quickly anyway).

Live Bibliography requires Bookends 1.2 or later.

Jon
Sonny Software
timgesic

Re: Mellel, Bookends, and Live Bibliography

Post by timgesic »

Dear Team of Sonnysoftware. Thank you for the great software Bookends. However, I am not be able to activate the live-bibliography in Mellel (Bookends and Mellel most recent versions Feb. 2013 bought via the App-store, 13 inch MBP retina display running 10.8.2). Creating a reference-list ends in a spinning wheel of death. In the preferences Mellel is set to be the word processor (and Bookends for citation software in Mellel). Re-Installation of both Mellel and Bookends did not succeed.

I know by going through the forums that I am not the only one with this problem, but I found no solution. Can you please provide me with one? Thank you very much in advance.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

There may be one of two things going on here. There was a problem with Mellel bought from the MAS that has, I believe, been fixed by RedleX. You can contact them about this.

But this also may be due to a bug in OS X 10.8.2 in handling of AppleEvents. The solution is to log out/in, or if you are comfortable with it, use this script in Terminal

sudo killall -KILL appleeventsd

(you'll be asked for your password).

You can read more about this bug here

http://blog.freron.com/category/bug/

Jon
Sonny Software
Enkidum

Post by Enkidum »

Just a quick update on this - I am forced to do this (log out or kill appleeventsd manually) about once every day or two right now. I have both bookends and mellel open pretty much continuously these days, as I'm finishing my thesis, and also a lot of other memory hogging programs opening and closing all the time (e.g. Word, Excel, Matlab, Keynote, etc). About once every day or two, the Live Bibliography checkbox in Mellel just greys out and cannot be checked, despite the fact that bookends seems to be working find (I can copy a citation and it will appear in its temporary form, I can select the "go to reference manager" button in Mellel and it works, etc). It just won't allow me to select Live Bibliography, and won't format the citations or bibliography on the fly.

However running that Terminal command restores functionality instantly.

So far as I can tell from looking at the link you gave, it's Apple's bug, not yours. But thought I'd mention how ubiquitous this problem can get.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'm aware,it happens to me, too. But it's fixed in 10.8.3, so we won't have to deal with it much longer.

Jon
Sonny Software