Symbols in Bookends

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
stripedskunk

Symbols in Bookends

Post by stripedskunk »

Hi there,
I was wondering if there's a way to type in symbols (for example in french language there are a lot of words with accents) in my references. I am used to Procite where you can insert symbols and can choose from a very long list. But now that I've converted to Bookends :D I can't seems to figure out how to do this simple thing.

Thanks.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi, um, stripedskunk.

If you want Roman accented characters, you just type them the way you would in any Mac application. For example, to type é you would enter

Option-e
e

(two keystrokes)

For an umlauted u (ü), it would be

Option-u
u

Or am I missing something?

Jon
Sonny Software
abraxas

seem to have the same problem

Post by abraxas »

Jon wrote:Hi, um, stripedskunk.

If you want Roman accented characters, you just type them the way you would in any Mac application. For example, to type é you would enter

Option-e
e

(two keystrokes)

For an umlauted u (ü), it would be

Option-u
u

Or am I missing something?

Jon
Sonny Software
Hi there,
I am currently testing bookends, first time I try to work with a reference manager. Since I am working with English and German references, the post above seemed particularly relevant.
Now my problem is, that Bookends lets me type umlauted u, a and o, showing it on the screen, but does not seem to save it. When I return to the umlaut containing reference, the umlaut is replaced with a questionmark, which isn't very useful.
There are some further questions I have about importing references from JSTOR and OCLC, but leave that for later.
Thanks,
abraxas
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Abraxas,

You are typing these in from the keyboard and they aren't being saved? Or you are using the character palette?

The question mark means that the character is probably Unicode-encoded, which Bookends 7 does not understand. Maybe it's a Unicode font you are using?

If you use a non-Unicode font and type as in the examples I gave before, there should be no problem.

Of course, in Bookends 8 all of these issues will disappear.

Jon
Sonny Software
abraxas

Post by abraxas »

Jon wrote:Hi Abraxas,

You are typing these in from the keyboard and they aren't being saved? Or you are using the character palette?

The question mark means that the character is probably Unicode-encoded, which Bookends 7 does not understand. Maybe it's a Unicode font you are using?

If you use a non-Unicode font and type as in the examples I gave before, there should be no problem.

Of course, in Bookends 8 all of these issues will disappear.

Jon
Sonny Software
Hi Jon,
the font I am using is Times New Roman and according to the fontbook it is a True Type font - and I was not entering the text via the character pallette. So far I could'nt solve the problem.

Thank you, Abraxas
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Try this:

1. Change reference font (in Preferences) to Arial.
2. Create a new reference.
3. In the Authors field, type

Option-e
e

4. You should see é
5. Move to another reference and then come back to this one.
6. Do you still see the é?

Jon
Sonny Software
abraxas

Post by abraxas »

Thanks Jon,
found out that there were several (obviously conflicting) versions of times new roman installed - disabled some, and now it works fine.

Abraxas