Help with Bookends+Mellel

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
rollin'Nora

Help with Bookends+Mellel

Post by rollin'Nora »

Dear Users, dear Bookend-Team,

I'm using Bookends with Mellel to write my PhD-Thesis.
In Bookends I created manager a new reference-format in the format in respect to german linguistic subject requirements by copying a given format and making changes for journals, edited books, books etc.
If I now try to add a reference in the middle of the text by drag and drop, there is always emerging the complete reference with author, title, and everything (but in a crude format and sequence). In Mellel Bookends is put as software. Even after checking the citation options in Bookends there is not the colored reference ID# or even the wiched "(author date)". Where could the problem be, please? :?: I looked for help in handbook and tutorials but I couldn't find a solution.

I'm thankfull for any help. I'f there are german users: I appreciate german answers :)

Notes: Bookends v11.3.6, Mellel v3.1.3b1
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Help with Bookends+Mellel

Post by Jon »

Sorry, my German isn't good enough to answer.

You are inserting temporary citations in Mellel -- you must scan then to create the final citation you want.

You can tell Bookends to insert temporary citations in the form

Author, Date #unique id

in preferences (Bib & Scan tab).

Jon
Sonny Software
ozean

Post by ozean »

I'll try in German too: Ich bin mir nicht sicher, ob ich das Problem verstanden habe, aber es hört sich so an, als ob Du in Mellel nur die Temporary Citation siehst, also nicht das fertige, von Dir erstellte Format.

Sollte das der Fall sein, dann ist das an sich gar kein Problem, sondern erst einmal so vorgesehen. Du kannst die vorläufigen Zitationen aber auch im endgültigen Format anzeigen lassen, wenn Du (as Jon has proposed) den Text in Mellel scannst. Ich lade hier auch mal einen Screenshot hoch, der eine umformatierte Zitation anzeigt, die erst formatiert wird, wenn man den mit dem rechten Pfeil gekennzeichnet Knopf drückt und den Scan laufen lässt.
Screen Shot 2013-03-13 at 13.26.51.png
Screen Shot 2013-03-13 at 13.26.51.png (198.28 KiB) Viewed 4743 times
Hoffe das hilft! :)
rollin'Nora

Post by rollin'Nora »

Dear Jon and Ozean,

thanks for your replies. Jon was right, there was missing a check mark in preferences (Scan&Bib). But it is still not working to change the temporary citations into the end-manuscript-version.

If I try to verify the citations with the palette, the verifying-button is grey and I can't click on it. There is neather a check mark nor a ? on the citations dialog-window. It is although not possible to verify the citations in mellel by "bibliography>verify citations"..the result is only "scanning document" (I stoped after 15 minutes for 20 pages).

If I try to construct the end-manuskript it is the same: scanning document but nothing is happening???

What I allready tried: verifying the references in bookends, rebuiled the bib, repair the bib - there is no problem reported.

Detailed Questions:
- If there are more than 100 pages in Journals or Edited Books, the output is always like this:
Meibauer, Jörg (1995): Neugebildete -er-Derivate im Spracherwerb. Ergebnisse einer Langzeitstudie. In: Sprache & Kognition 14(3): 138-60. (Or :1249-83). Is it possible to format it with the complete page-range "138-160"?
- If I want to print all references of one bibliography, can I format the bibliography a little bit nicer, for example controll the space between every reference-paragraph?

I give some screenshots to give an insight into my preferences. I hope you can help me with my main problems.
mellel text with temporary citations
mellel text with temporary citations
Mellel_text.jpg (83.48 KiB) Viewed 4720 times
P.S.: Ozean, congrats for your good German :D
Attachments
Bookends Citation Options
Bookends Citation Options
Bookends_citation_options.jpg (58.18 KiB) Viewed 4720 times
Bibliography Options
Bibliography Options
Bookends_bibliooptions.jpg (54.3 KiB) Viewed 4720 times
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Please see this thread, it sounds like that's your problem:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3142

As for having Bookends output the complete number in a page range, that's a setting you control in the format.

Jon
Sonny Software
rollin'Nora

Post by rollin'Nora »

Thanks. My main problem is solved. There are still some detailed problems, I'll try to work them out by myself.

But thank you very much for patience with newbees...