Google scholar searches not working

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
jdien

Re: Google scholar searches not working

Post by jdien »

I just had Google scholar search fail to work from Bookends (12.2.4). It works fine from the web interface. This was my first attempt to use the citation import in several days so I don't think it's due to a search limit ban, unless they last much longer now. Perhaps they just changed their output format and so it's not parsing? Perhaps it would be helpful for Bookends to provide some response other than "There are no matches" to help users figure out what is happening?

Joe
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'm seeing this, too, it's very odd. One option I've thought of is to have Bookends automatically open the browser view and show the CAPTCHA that Google is sending. That won't fix the direct search problem, but it will let you continue searching in Bookends Browser.

Jon
Sonny Software
Hogenson

Post by Hogenson »

I have run into the same problem, starting a couple of days ago. I cannot get metadata at all, and I have worked both from my home and from the library at the University of Chicago. I do really appreciate all the functionality of Bookends, over several other systems I have used, and I can easily understand that updates my be needed when things change, but I have to agree that the way responses come to perfectly honest questions about problems with function is singularly off-putting. All you need to say is either let me look into it, or here is the best solution--and give a download link to a fix.
martinjp

Post by martinjp »

I have been having the same problem.

I think, though, that the original poster was referring to the message (or lack of message) provided by the Bookends software when this happens. Not to the way Jon responds to users' questions. I have found him very prompt and helpful.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hogenson wrote:I have run into the same problem, starting a couple of days ago. I cannot get metadata at all, and I have worked both from my home and from the library at the University of Chicago. I do really appreciate all the functionality of Bookends, over several other systems I have used, and I can easily understand that updates my be needed when things change, but I have to agree that the way responses come to perfectly honest questions about problems with function is singularly off-putting. All you need to say is either let me look into it, or here is the best solution--and give a download link to a fix.
I don't get your point. As I said, I don't understand the problem with GS, either -- there's nothing Bookends is doing differently from what it has done for years, but suddenly for a subset of users (including me), GS thinks the queries are from robots. I've spent many hours working with the code, posted on forums, written to Google (with no reply so far), and as yet haven't found an explanation. Again as I said, it's very odd. If there were a simple fix for affected users I'd post it of course. What I did post was a possible workaround that I'm thinking of implementing (switching to Bookends Browser and showing the CAPTCHA), which I hoped would get some feedback. I don't know why you think having a conversation with our users on the forum is "off-putting".

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'm pleased to say that I seem to have tracked down what Google Scholar has done, and I've made changes that have restored the search. These changes will be included in the next update, which will be a major release. I hope to have it ready in 1-2 weeks.

Jon
Sonny Software
pprofpopp

Post by pprofpopp »

Many thanks Jon,

'suddenly' having same issue as described. Glad to see fix on the way.

But hey, Forum....No 'dissing' of the wonderful Jon.

I think of all the 150+ software items I use, the quality and speed of' Bookends support from Jon is second to none.

Cheers

Philip
granmon

Post by granmon »

Is there any solution for the google scholar problem?

I'm using now bookends 12.5.1. The search doesn't work...

Thomas
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

It works. You may have been hit with the Google Scholar time out. Please see the beginnings of this thread.

Jon
Sonny Software
benjaminpelissie

Post by benjaminpelissie »

Hi, I have the same issues all the time: no matches from GS, although I search for less than 10 papers a week those days. BTW Pubmed search gives me nothing 2 times out of 3 (works with some refs, not with others, with no apparent pattern). Quite mysterious...

Ben
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

GS and PubMed are working for me without a problem. The PubMed server does go flaky from time to time, but not on a regular basis. If both are giving you problems, I'm suspecting there may be a local issue (e.g. a proxy server, firewall, or something else that is interfering).

Jon
Sonny Software
benjaminpelissie

Post by benjaminpelissie »

You must be right about local issues, but I can't figure it out at the moment...:( Will let you know about my findings.
Ben
granmon

Post by granmon »

I'm not sure, whether it is a local issue.

I've installed Bookends on four different computers, which I use at different locations. scholar.google doesn't work.

I've used the computers in safety mode, always the same. No firewall....

Then I've picked up an older laptop with Yosemite 10.10 and Bookends 12.02.

It works fine and flawless. Then I installed the newest Bookends version 12.5.2. It doesn't work.

Then I copied this Bookends version (12.02) on my newest iMac with Yosemite 10.10.2.

It works fine, too. So, I don't think, that it is a local problem....

ps. other bibliographic software works, too
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That's a man-bites-dog twist. I can say that GS works for me in 12.5.2 and I've had only sporadic reports of problems -- and in those cases it's proved to be some local problem. What does "doesn't work" mean in your case? What happens, exactly? And does Bookends Browser work with GS?

Jon
Sonny Software
granmon

Post by granmon »

"doesn't work" mean:

Sometimes I get no hit (there is a message "Awaiting reply ..." in the windows lower left corner - see attachment). I've to cancel the search.

In most cases I get a response with one (1) hit.

But I get never a normal response ....

The Bookends Browser works.

See attachments...

Perhaps it is Yosemite ??? But I've no computer with an older system to test it.

I don't know exactly, when it started not working. It could be, that the problem occurred after installing Yosemite.

I use Bookends for many years without any problem.

Best regards Thomas

PS. Thank your for your support.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2015-02-21 um 20.53.28.png
Bildschirmfoto 2015-02-21 um 20.53.28.png (64.35 KiB) Viewed 10894 times
Bildschirmfoto 2015-02-21 um 20.39.29.png
Bildschirmfoto 2015-02-21 um 20.39.29.png (75.13 KiB) Viewed 10894 times
Bildschirmfoto 2015-02-21 um 20.40.04.png
Bildschirmfoto 2015-02-21 um 20.40.04.png (249.81 KiB) Viewed 10894 times