Bookends 12 released

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Jon
Site Admin

Bookends 12 released

Post by Jon »

Here's a link to the announcement

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3346

Jon
Sonny Software
Eckius

Re: Bookends 12 released

Post by Eckius »

I purchased Bookends 11 on february 16th, 2010, three years and four months ago. Since then, Jon, you prepared countless updates and improvements, and they were all free. So I'm very happy that now, by upgrading to Bookends 12, I finally get the occasion to send you some money again. Thanks for the excellent work and service in the past years!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Thank you very much. Not only has updating and improving Bookends been quite a bit of fun, so has interacting with the user community.

Jon
Sonny Software
taja

Post by taja »

Fantastic job, Jon. Bought a license immediately, and was pleased to see other people from my department make the leap. It's been a pleasure harassing you with rambling bug reports and inappropriate feature requests!
ozean

Post by ozean »

Yes, excellent indeed. Using Bookends has been a steady and reliable help over the course of my whole academic career. Thanks Jon!

If you would like to say something about the process of switching to Cocoa (biggest challenges, pleasant/unpleasant surprise, biggest benefit for you?) I would love to hear some stories from the workshop of my favorite bibliography manager. :)
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The single biggest challenge by far was having to completely rewrite formatting in Bookends 12. The old code used ancient APIs dating back to the earliest days of the Mac. They were fast and efficient, but needed some TLC to get them to be Unicode savvy. Having to switch to modern APIs was a big challenge. But the bonus was that Unicode handling is far, far easier.

Jon
Sonny Software
nicka

Post by nicka »

Using Bookends has been a steady and reliable help over the course of my whole academic career.
I want to echo this. I've just worked out that I've been using Bookends for eight years. It's been indispensable from the start, but keeps getting better. Thanks Jon.
Jasso

Post by Jasso »

Yes, thank you from me too!

I've been using Bookends since 2006 and it is one the most important tools I have in my arsenal. I'm happy to pay the extremely modest upgrade cost to support you. I am just glad that the software is alive and healthy. Too many shareware tools I've used along the years have gone under.
repschinski

Post by repschinski »

Same here - I switched from another program, and have been happy ever since. And the quick bug fixes for BE12 just confirm that it is the right choice.
TXCiclista

Post by TXCiclista »

Order placed.

Assuming I will actually have to wait until "early evening" for the serial, is there anyway to use the beta a bit longer to get past the 50 reference limit? Trying to prepare a bib for my dissertation proposal and I used the beta enough that I can't go back to 11. If not, no worries, but it'd be nice to get to it right away. :D
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I think you'll find it in your inbox shortly...

Jon
Sonny Software
TXCiclista

Post by TXCiclista »

Ha! Awesome. Many thanks :)
vivalosburros

Post by vivalosburros »

Really liking version 12 and excited about the move to Cocoa. I was wondering about design decisions for the change. It is both reassuring that version 12 looks almost the exact same as version 11 and at least a little disappointing. I am happy with everything as it is, but a visual update could be helpful in some areas. Specifically, I feel that more could be done with the notecards to make them more visually useful. I wonder if others have any thoughts on this or if this has been discussed elsewhere.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The controls (like list boxes) have the same feature sets as their Carbon equivalents. This is likely to change with time. As they evolve I'll be rolling suitable changes into Bookends (for example, perhaps rows of varying heights -- dramatic, I know!).

Jon
Sonny Software
raymond

Post by raymond »

Hello,

I have purchased the BE 12, and starting to work with.
I wish there will be a way, in the new upgrade to configure font size at one click, when in reference window.
Now I have to select each database entry to change the font size. I would prefere if I could selct all fields at once.

Thank you for your work.

Raymond