The (not such a) Mystery of the Renamed Attachments

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Cassady

The (not such a) Mystery of the Renamed Attachments

Post by Cassady »

Hello All,

I have been steadily getting to grips with BE12 over the past few weeks - and have come to realise that I have been 'guilty' of missing tiny details, that have had some (initially) unexplained effects on my library.

I want to be clear that this was most certainly a case of "Problem In Chair, Not In Computer", but figured I would pop this up on the off-chance, that somewhere in the future, someone similarly absent-minded might come across it on the forum, and be helped.

From when I initially imported my references into Bookends, I came across many examples of my PDF filenames being "renamed" within their existing folders.
By way of background - I have thousands of PDFs named according to a very specific filename system, and I am meticulous about being consistent.
I initially missed the tickbox asking BE not to rename the attachments - so the effect this was happening on my library, was annoying & simultaneously alarming, to say the least.
However, after having realised the error of my ways, this problem was put to bed - or so I thought...

Having finished importing, I began to systematically work my way through the new reference library, auto-completing the many pdf's that did not have an existing DOI.

So one can imagine my concern, despite my having thought I had sorted my earlier errors, at discovering many pdf's having been renamed again, in my Data Folders.
Not only that - but I was still coming across many references in the BE library, where the link had been broken, and the grey screen forced me to go and find the PDFs again in their various Data folders.

Today, I finally had the facepalm moment.
This is what I was missing:
Bookends at 4.41.36 PM.png
Bookends at 4.41.36 PM.png (21.94 KiB) Viewed 37683 times
:oops: :oops:

BE12 was simply doing exactly what I was "telling" it too.
The catch-22 was repeating itself, since I was systematically going back into the Data Folders, and renaming my files. And as a result, BE could no longer find them - hence the grey screen calling for reattachment.

I will now have to be a bit more careful and un-tick that box upon calling up auto-complete the first time after relaunching BE.
But as noted at the start - maybe this might help someone in the future, where the same "mystery" renaming is occurring in their already-organised data folders...

:D