Temporary citation as formatted link

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
NilsMS

Temporary citation as formatted link

Post by NilsMS »

In a major academic writing project spanning several years I frequently encounter temporary citations which I have to look up in Bookends because I do not remember what the citation was about. This involves typing in the author name and comparing the date with that in the temporary citation. It would be nice if I could just klick the temporary citation to jump to the reference in Bookends. I know that I can choose "Copy Hypertext Link" to create such a link but then Bookends does not format this link in the end. Is there an option to have BOTH? A temporary citation which would also work as hypertext link? Or do I miss something obvious?

Any hint is appreciated.

Cheers,

Nils
ozean

Re: Temporary citation as formatted link

Post by ozean »

Switching to Mellel would enable this behavior. No idea if this is scriptable for Jon (i.e. you have to select the entire citation and then fire up an Apple Script?)
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

As ocean said, Mellel has this capability. But for other word processors, you can't have one thing do be both a temp citation and a link. What you could do in Word or NWP is highlight the temp citation (preferably the unique id) and then use the "Find in Bookends" option. That would switch to word with the text already loaded into the Find dialog. Adjust the Find (for example, to search for unique id) and click OK, and you'll see the reference.

Jon
Sonny Software
NilsMS

Post by NilsMS »

Jon wrote:As ocean said, Mellel has this capability. But for other word processors, you can't have one thing do be both a temp citation and a link. What you could do in Word or NWP is highlight the temp citation (preferably the unique id) and then use the "Find in Bookends" option. That would switch to word with the text already loaded into the Find dialog. Adjust the Find (for example, to search for unique id) and click OK, and you'll see the reference.
Many thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I use Scrivener for text processing, and there does not seem to exist such an option. Is there any chance to include this behaviour (temporary citations as link) into Bookends?

Cheers,

Nils
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

As I said, I don't think that's possible. Links are not plain text, they have embedded characteristics (which makes them links). You can do the same thing in Scrivener that I suggested for Word with a few extra steps -- copy the unique id, switch to Bookends, Command-F, Command-V, set the option to look for unique id, then press Return. That will find the reference.

Jon
Sonny Software
nicka

Post by nicka »

What about suggesting, on the Scrivener forum, a feature 'Switch to Bibliography manager and Find'? It would be very useful, for sure.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I can tell you that it's a simple AppleEvent, so if Keith (Scrivener) wanted to do so it would be easy to implement.

Jon
Sonny Software
NilsMS

Post by NilsMS »

Jon wrote:I can tell you that it's a simple AppleEvent, so if Keith (Scrivener) wanted to do so it would be easy to implement.
Thanks for the suggestion! I will then try this on the Scrivener-Forum.

Cheers,

Nils