Spelling

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Wilder Robles

Spelling

Post by Wilder Robles »

I wish Bookends could have an integrated spelling in multiple languages. Maybe the next version with Mellel can nicely integrate this option handy. Obviously, borrowing Mellel's spelling. I tried to use CocoAspell through Services with Bookends and I was not lucky.
In any case, Bookends is a solid product that wworks much better than endnote. It has rarely crushed BTW,
Wilder
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Wilder,

Spell checking is something we are going to look into after Bookends 8 is out. Although if we implement it, it will be via OS X, and I'm not sure they allow multiple languages at once...

Jon
Sonny Software
Wilder Robles

Spelling

Post by Wilder Robles »

Thanks for your response Jon. Even if multiple spelling is not included in V. 8, I would be just happy with an English spelling. I am wondering why to go to Services and not to borrow Mellel's spelling?
Wilder
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I'm not sure what you mean. Mellel doesn't offer a spelling Service. There is free one, though, that you can install: CocoaAspell

It can be found at

http://www.ict.usc.edu/~leuski/cocoaspell/home.html

I haven't used it, but it looks like it would fit the bill (and it has dictionaries for many languages).

Jon
Sonny Software
Wilder Robles

Spelling

Post by Wilder Robles »

Jon:
I mean why just Bookends does not directly use Mellel's spelling, which actually has many languages? Is this difficult. I used Cocoa Spelling, but Bookends does not support Spelling through services. Am I correct here? I could not make it to work,
Cheers,
Wilder
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Bookends supports Services in OS 10.2 or later, so it should support spelling via CocoaASpell (there can be a problem with DevonThink Word Services preventing Bookends from accessing Services in OS 10.2 -- not sure about 10.3).

As for supporting spelling via Mellel -- that would require that they provide spelling as a Service that anyone can access. I doubt that is something they would want to spend any time on...

If/when we provide this, we would not make it require another application like Mellel.

Jon
Sonny Software
Wilder Robles

Spelling

Post by Wilder Robles »

Jon:
you are right. I am using Devon Word Service and CocoaSpell with OX 10.35. Obviously there is a problem here as I cannot make Bookends to access the speller via Services,
Any help?
Wilder
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Spelling

Post by Jon »

Wilder Robles wrote:Jon:
you are right. I am using Devon Word Service and CocoaSpell with OX 10.35. Obviously there is a problem here as I cannot make Bookends to access the speller via Services,
Any help?
You have to uninstall Devon Word Services -- it's either a bug in their software or in OS X, but whichever, Word Services disables Services for Carbon apps (like Bookends).

Jon
Sonny Software