Attachment Folders

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
drsoram

Attachment Folders

Post by drsoram »

HI ! I am a newbie to Bookends.

Can I have the main attachments folder ( Bookends default folder) have sub-folders in it and will the attachments in those subfolders be found and usable by Bookends the same as if they were in the ROOT of the default attachments folder?

Thank you !

Soram
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Attachment Folders

Post by Jon »

Yes, you can. You can even assign a specific attachment subfolder to a particular database if you like (although we recommend using a single database) in the File menu.

Jon
Sonny Software
drsoram

Post by drsoram »

Great! Thank you Jon!

Soram
macvet

Post by macvet »

Hi Soram,

I am using subfolders to handle my thousands of attachments. My attachment folder has a subfolder for each letter of the alphabet. Those authors with high publication rates get a personal subfolder in the letter subfolder. This works fine, but you have to consider that BE sends automatic attachments (Get PDF from Internet or Download PDF) to the last chosen subfolder without asking where to put it. If you make heavy use of this feature, maybe a single attachment folder would be better for you.

Best Wishes,
macvet
macula

Post by macula »

When I started using Bookends several years ago, I committed to placing attached books in a "Books" subfolder and attached articles or book chapters in an "Articles" subfolder. In hindsight, this was a mistake. If I had the luxury to start over again I would just pile up all my attachments, regardless of type or size, in a single flat folder. Today's search and tagging facilities are very fast and convenient and, unless you tend to casually browse your attachment library in the Finder as if it were an actual bookshelf (e.g. using Cover Flow), I see little value in bureaucratic folder hierarchies.
drsoram

Post by drsoram »

Thank you both very much ! I do agree that todays search features are so fast that one folder will work just fine !

Best
Soram