Work Flow in BE

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
drsoram

Work Flow in BE

Post by drsoram »

Hi Jon
I like BE very much and just bought it and have 2 work flow questions :

1. I bring a PDF into BE and want to read it on my IPAD. I do not want to keep my BE folder in Dropbox as I have way too many articles to keep it inside Dropbox. But I need the PDF in dropbox to upload it to my IPAD PDF reader- PDF Expert. How do I bring the PDF OUT OF BE into Dropbox and then after I read it and mark it up on my IPAD how do I get the marked copy out of Dropbox and into BE without having 2 copies of the article inside BE?

2. How do I get BE to import all the PDFs that are in my default attachment subfolder? Do I have to drag and drop all 1000 or so of my articles into BE or is there an easier way? I have many titles on the PDFs that need to be updated by BE based on the doi. As many of my articles were just downloaded from the web with numeric or other coded titles.

Thank you
Soram
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Work Flow in BE

Post by Jon »

drsoram wrote: 1. I bring a PDF into BE and want to read it on my IPAD. I do not want to keep my BE folder in Dropbox as I have way too many articles to keep it inside Dropbox. But I need the PDF in dropbox to upload it to my IPAD PDF reader- PDF Expert. How do I bring the PDF OUT OF BE into Dropbox and then after I read it and mark it up on my IPAD how do I get the marked copy out of Dropbox and into BE without having 2 copies of the article inside BE?
If you have Bookends On Tap on your iPad don't sync Bookends using DropBox. Use the built-in Sync mechanism (which uses Bonjour). Please see the Bookends On Tap user guide on our web site for details. If you just want to sync PDFs do it any way you like. The PDFs are not in Bookends. They're on your HD. Bookends just finds and displays them.
2. How do I get BE to import all the PDFs that are in my default attachment subfolder? Do I have to drag and drop all 1000 or so of my articles into BE or is there an easier way? I have many titles on the PDFs that need to be updated by BE based on the doi. As many of my articles were just downloaded from the web with numeric or other coded titles.
Please see our video tutorial on that subject (Bookends Help menu). I think it's the first one.

Jon
Sonny Software
drsoram

Post by drsoram »

Thanks for your great answer Jon

I bought Bookends on Tap--questions

Is there a way to sync just the abstracts but PULL Down into the IPAD a PDF when and if I want it ? Or is it just have NO pdfs or have ALL pdfs in Bookends on Tap?

It would be nice to have the abstracts and PULL down JUST the pdfs I need when I need them but I do not see a way to do that ?

Thank you
Soram
drsoram

Post by drsoram »

Please advise if there a a way to PULL in a PDF into Bookends on Tap if I have set the import to be just the abstracts ?

It seems I just have a choice of ALL the abstracts go into On Tap or NONE Of the abstracts go in on sync?

Thanks
Soram
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

PDFs are attached to references, you can't sync a pdf without syncing the reference, too. And you can't tell Bookends to sync reference X but not its PDF and reference Y and its PDF. The flexibility that you do have (and these are in the sync dialog)

1. Sync only references that are in one or more specific groups.
2. Sync references but not their PDFs.
3. Sync references and only sync the PDF if it is below a certain size.

Jon
Sonny Software
drsoram

Post by drsoram »

Thank you Jon

Soram