PDFs

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
drsoram

PDFs

Post by drsoram »

HI Jon
Questions re reading my journal PDFs

1. I am using Skim to read my PDFs mostly so the highlights I make as well as notes are saved with the file.
I see that the new version of Bookends does something similar. What are the advantages of using the Bookends PDF viewer with regards to NOTES I make and Highlights I make?

2. How to open to full screen the pdf in BOOKENDS pdf reader? Right now I just get it in the lower window of the program like this
http://d.pr/i/hzkg

3. Is there a QUICK way to highlight and turn to yellow AND make that highlight a notecard like SKIM does automatically, or does it take 2 commands i.e. ^command H and ^command S to make my highlight go into the Note cards?

4. Is Bookends able to take a PDF I read in SKIM and turn the highlights and notes into NOTES in Bookends?

Thank you !
Soram
Jon
Site Admin

Re: PDFs

Post by Jon »

1. Bookends reads and write PDF Kit-compatible notes (just like Preview and Adobe Reader). Skim uses it's own implementation. So notes made in Skim are invisible to Bookends.

2. Right now you can't. In the next update there will be the option to "maximize pdf pane", which won't go full screen, but will make the pdf pane as large as it can in the library window, which is partway to what you want.

3. It takes 2 keystrokes. Note that in the next update, Bookends will automatically show highlighted text (even those without notes) in the note stream. This may be all you need.

4. Skim, no, Preview/Adobe Reader yes, for the reasons above. (P.S. I believe Skim has the ability to save it's pdfs with notes converted to PDF Kit format, but I haven't tried that -- maybe other users who read this have).

Jon
Sonny Software
drsoram

Re: PDFs

Post by drsoram »

Thanks Jon! Just what I needed to know!

Soram