UI Request: DOI Field on Main edit ref tab

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
iandol

UI Request: DOI Field on Main edit ref tab

Post by iandol »

I use DOI a lot for my journal article references, but for the Edit Reference panel it is hidden away in "Additional Fields". I would love it if DOI was moved to the "Main" tab, and even better if clicking the label would bring up options related to DOI management. Are User1 / User4 / Edition / Translator etc. really more heavily used than DOI by most users?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: UI Request: DOI Field on Main edit ref tab

Post by Jon »

Right-clicking on the doi does bring up a list of options, including taking you to the reference on the Internet.

The doi is usually set-and-forget. It is never edited. And it doesn't have any styled text requirements. Hence, just like the PMID or ISBN, it's not on the main tab. If you tell me why you want it there, perhaps I can tell you how to accomplish what you want to do with existing functions.

Jon
Sonny Software
iandol

Post by iandol »

Jon wrote:Right-clicking on the doi does bring up a list of options, including taking you to the reference on the Internet.
Ah, I tried right-click on the DOI button/label, didn't try the text field. Thanks!
Jon wrote:The doi is usually set-and-forget. It is never edited. And it doesn't have any styled text requirements. Hence, just like the PMID or ISBN, it's not on the main tab. If you tell me why you want it there, perhaps I can tell you how to accomplish what you want to do with existing functions.
Many of my references have the DOI missing -- actually in user15 field (something about successive imports from RefMan > EndNote > Bookends). I need to be able to see immediately which refs have a DOI or not, if not it reminds me to then copy paste from user15 or rescan for a new DOI. I like have Edit Reference panel always open, so don't have too much screen space for using a column in the list view. As I slowly fill in my DOIs, my need to see if DOI is present diminishes! 8)

I kind of wish I could use SQL commands and some python/ruby/bash directly as I would love to be able to automate moving user15 to DOI if DOI is empty...
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

There are a couple of answers.

1. Why have the edit pane open all the time? Use the Concise Summary view on the right instead. It's editable, in case you didn't know (in Preferences), and you can have Bookends output the DOI in the summary view, so you can quickly see if it's there or not.

2. Why not use Global Change -> Move Field to move user15 to the DOI field (you can first do a Find (Command-F) for references where the DOI field is EMPTY).

Jon
Sonny Software
iandol

Post by iandol »

Gotta' answer for everything huh wiseguy? (Imagine a film noir setting, a sleazy bar, and a trilby hat)

Thanks Jon, very helpful! My DOI-less refs are down to the low hundreds from the low thousands! 8)