Term list by reference type

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
don_rolfo

Term list by reference type

Post by don_rolfo »

Hi,

I am new in the forum and I searched for this topic - but could't find anything:
Is it somehow possible to create a term list for reference types? I know you can add new term lists in Window --> Term lists --> Add list. But you can't create a term list for *reference type* here ..... has anybody already done this?

Thanx!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Term list by reference type

Post by Jon »

No, you can't. Term lists are for words you enter or import, kind of like an index, which the reference Type is not. Types are already available via a popup menu, What functionality to do you think a Type "term list" would offer that isn't there now?

Jon
Sonny Software
benjaminpelissie

Post by benjaminpelissie »

As there's usually few types (compared to what you can find in term lists like authors, date or keywords...!), I would suggest you to just create one smart group per reference type you would like to access quickly, as it will sit in your group window. I did one for books (including book chapter), thesis (custom type), articles, web pages (custom type) and projects (custom type). As it's only 5 smart groups, it's non-obstrucive, still very accessible and clear. Hope this helps.
Cheers,
Ben
don_rolfo

Post by don_rolfo »

Ok thanks, it just would have been nice and easier...
benjaminpelissie

Post by benjaminpelissie »

Indeed...
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Since my question was never answered, I can't comment.

Jon
Sonny Software
don_rolfo

Post by don_rolfo »

Sorry Jon, I didn't really understand your question!
A term list gibes me an overview, how often the terms are used. Such a list for types would show, how many Journal Articles, Reports, Manuals etc. I have in my library. Can I get this overview somewhere else?
Thanks,
Ralf
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Term lists are much more than just that. But now I see what you're after. The response by benjaminpelissie is the best option -- do a Find for references of a particular Type (either use Command-F,or make a smart group for this). You can also make a column for Type (in preferences), which will let you sort by Type by clicking on the column heading (but that won't tell you how many there are in a group). If I can think of another way I'll come back and post here.

Jon
Sonny Software
don_rolfo

Post by don_rolfo »

ok, thanks Jon!