Separate editing window

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Separate editing window

Post by Jon »

These are changes I'm considering. Please feel free (anyone) to comment:

1. Place the following fields side-by-side (so they are half-width).

Publisher - Location (Address)
User1 - User2
User3 - User4

Also, maybe

URL - Short Title (URLs are long, but you rarely need to read them).

2. Make showing the Notes field optional (there's a separate tab for notes, so you can always see/edit them if you want).

Jon
Sonny Software
nicka

Post by nicka »

changes I'm considering […]

1. Place the following fields side-by-side (so they are half-width).

Publisher - Location (Address)
User1 - User2
User3 - User4
I think this would be an improvement.

Also: please consider putting abstract and keywords side-by-side again. As someone has said in another thread, that arrangement provided enough horizontal space for keywords, since they are in a vertical list, and made the abstract easier to read, since the lines were shorter.
Also, maybe

URL - Short Title (URLs are long, but you rarely need to read them).
I never use short titles, so this would be a step backwards from my point of view, truncating the URL for no gain.
2. Make showing the Notes field optional (there's a separate tab for notes, so you can always see/edit them if you want).
Yes, great idea.
ozean

Post by ozean »

nicka wrote:Also: please consider putting abstract and keywords side-by-side again. As someone has said in another thread, that arrangement provided enough horizontal space for keywords, since they are in a vertical list, and made the abstract easier to read, since the lines were shorter.
I would support this suggestion (along with the other changes you proposed) too!
Cassady

Post by Cassady »

Jon – I really like the new pop-up window, especially on a dual-monitor set-up, it's a big help.

Not sure if this is something that might be (a.) possible; (b.) a feature other's would welcome; and (c.) in line with the underlying approach to the standalone window — but could it be possible to have (as a preference setting) the option to have it "follow" the selection of the references in the main library window — i.e. similar to Quicklook in Finder (and how the Edit Reference currently works, when references are edited in the Library Window, as opposed to the standalone)?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

If you're using a separate editing window, a double click (instead of a single click) on the reference will do what you want. That is, don't close the standalone reference window, keep it open and double click on (or select and press Return or Enter) any reference you want displayed there.

Jon
Sonny Software
Cassady

Post by Cassady »

Jon wrote:If you're using a separate editing window, a double click (instead of a single click) on the reference will do what you want. That is, don't close the standalone reference window, keep it open and double click on (or select and press Return or Enter) any reference you want displayed there.

Jon
Sonny Software
Thanks Jon,

I managed it like that, currently.

What I'm specifically talking about, would be where you double click on a reference, to have it open in the standalone. That window is then active.

If you then click back to the main library window, to make it active again – the initial reference you had selected, is still highlighted. When you then tap the cursor keys up/down, to move the "selector" to another reference, the standalone window keeps displaying the initially–selected reference.

If it could jump through the references, as you scroll up and down with the cursor keys (as the library window-edit reference view does), that would be a handy feature – at least for me...
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I think you're overthinking this. Use the arrow key to get the reference you want and then hit Return (or Enter). It's instant, and you (the user) are in control of what you see.

Jon
Sonny Software
jmm

Post by jmm »

I understand a separate window can add functionality in this case. But please keep integrated windows as an option because the convenience of the interface is an important consideration for users. Separate windows are messy to work with, even when they memorise their previous position. They constantly hide when one needs them, and are forgotten when one doesn't use them.

For instance, I even find more convenient to use the browser within the main window of BookEnds, unlike other reference managers which open their browsers in a separate tab which doesn't allow to see the references. On the contrary, I find the separate windows for Inspector and Online search in BookEnds inconvenient to use. Actually, I would like to have the option of having the browser in the vertical bar as well.

Regarding good interface implementations, I like the fast way in which HoudahSpot has implemented the option to hide and open features through a few icons in its menu bar.

I reallise I have departed from the main issue here. Sorry.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

1. The integrated reference pane is not going away. That's the default editing view. BTW, if a separate window does become "hidden", you can always find and bring it to the front with the Window menu. I'm posting this info for anyone following this thread.

2. There are icons along the bottom of the window that open/close all the various views. There are keyboard equivalents, too (see View menu).

3. In general, separate windows should open on the same screen as the main library window.

Jon
Sonny Software
benjaminpelissie

Post by benjaminpelissie »

Hi all,
I personally like the new editing window a lot, especially knowing that I'll be able to open several windows and minimise them in my dock: awesome. Plus, being able to see and edit multiple PDFs in multiple windows will also kick.
The only thing that bothers me a bit is the attachment tab: I would really love to be able to do exactly the same actions I can do in the attachment and crosslink inspector. No more, no less. And btw I wouldn't mind if the attachment and crosslink inspector icon vanished.
Ben
rwg

Post by rwg »

In the separate editing window, under the Attachments tab, the "Rename PDF" command does not seem to be working. Is this a bug or just a problem with my setup? (I am using Mavericks.)
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

It was unhooked from the new separate window. I've reattached the code, so to speak, and that will be in the next update.

Jon
Sonny Software
iandol

Post by iandol »

Jon, can I just say thank-you that the drag-n-drop rearrangement for the separate window also made its way to the single window right pane (which I much prefer for my use), very useful!!! Wish I could drag fields across tabs, but I know that won't be possible.
Cassady

Post by Cassady »

Jon,

The ability to re-arrange the different fields in either the standalone or side-view reference window is a god-send. I'm spending far less time than usual, tabbing through to some of the fields, since I have been able to bump them up into new positions.

That being said – can you please clarify the following:

The [Authors | Ser Editors] fields appear to be "tied" together, as it were? Cmd-clicking on the one, pulls the other along.
I never use the [Ser Editors] field, so it's always an unnecessary 'tab' through to the next field/[Title], as it were. Any chance that a different field could be inserted alongside the [Authors] field, or would this require a major overhaul?

Of course – it might just be me – many others(??) might use [Ser Editors] regularly, in which case, so be it.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The half-width fields can only be moved together. There are both programmatic and UI reasons for this.

Jon
Sonny Software