Rearranging field order in Bookends 12.5.2

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
julesmim

Rearranging field order in Bookends 12.5.2

Post by julesmim »

Hello,

Rearranging field order is a much welcome new feature, that I have been waiting for. It is particularly useful when one enter data manually.
So, thanks a lot for having implemented it.

Let me suggest to enhance again the flexibility of the UI.

1- Now we can’t move separately the fields that are on the same line, for example "Ser Title" and "Volume", or "Pages" and "Year". There is no way to move "Year" before "Pages". That would be a good thing to have this possibility.

2- I would like to be able to change the field order in a different way for each type of reference. For example, when I enter a Journal Article, I always enter a Journal Title and Volume. So I put those fields immediately after the title of the article. But when I enter the data for a Book, only a small percentage of the books have a Series Title and Volume, so I would prefer to push down those fields in the Book reference type.

3- Another remark is that some fields are much too large for the text they need to contain. For example, I use the "Edition" field to enter only a number (like 2 or 3, etc. for the second or third edition). And this field takes the whole width of the Editing Pane. So, my suggestion would be to enable us to resize fields and not only rearrange them.

Thanks for listening. And congratulations for the good work you’ve been doing over the years.
terrydev

Re: Rearranging field order in Bookends 12.5.2

Post by terrydev »

Can I second this:
Thanks for listening. And congratulations for the good work you’ve been doing over the years.
The ability to move fields is a very positive improvement for me. Now, if I could only move the ISBN/ISSN field to the main tab then I simply would never need to use the other tabs again, and that would save a lot of clicking for me.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Or you could rename one of the user-defined fields in the Main tab (e.g. User1) to ISBN/ISSN and use it for that. If you're using import filters to acquire these, you can easily edit the filter to put ISBN/ISSN in u1 instead of u5.

Jon
Sonny Software
terrydev

Post by terrydev »

If you're using import filters to acquire these, you can easily edit the filter to put ISBN/ISSN in u1 instead of u5.
There is much to admire in that sentence, if only I understood it :D

My most common way to input books is to add the ISBN number and then use the 'Autofill from Internet' command... so unless I misread the manual the Import Filters have no relevance there. Am I correct?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

:-)

I was speaking of fetching the ISBN, not using it for Autofill. In that case it is indeed tied to the Additional Fields tab.

Remember, Command-2 will take you to that tab and Command-1 will return you to the main tab. It's not a lot of extra clicks.

Jon
Sonny Software
eleuteruiz

Post by eleuteruiz »

No doubt, rearranging fields is a most welcome feature. I remember myself asking for that a long time ago.
julesmim wrote:
1- Now we can’t move separately the fields that are on the same line, for example "Ser Title" and "Volume", or "Pages" and "Year". There is no way to move "Year" before "Pages". That would be a good thing to have this possibility.
I agree with that. Most of the styles I use require the Year-Pages order. I know you can handle it in formatting, but it is more practical when typing to follow the order flow you have in mind.

Thanks for your patience!!