Entering Collection References

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Huggbees

Entering Collection References

Post by Huggbees »

Hi everyone! I'm new to Bookends, and despite trying to search through the forums and the User Guide I'm struggling to find how to enter reference information for multiple entries/chapters from a single collection. The main bibliography methods I use (MLA and Chicago) both give a full entry for the complete collection and then give a cross-referenced entry for an individual chapter that gives just the collection editors (often just last name) as an indication of where it comes from. Here is the MLA Handbook example:
L'Eplattenier, Barbara. "Finding Ourselves in the Past: An Argument for Historical Work on WPAs." Rose and Weiser 131-40.

Peeples, Tim. "'Seeing' the WPA With/Through Postmodern Mapping." Rose and Weiser 153-67.

Rose, Shirley K., and Irwin Weiser, eds. The Writing Program Administrator as Researcher. Portsmouth: Heinemann, 1999. Print.
from https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/06/

How do I replicate doing this in Bookends?

Thanks for your help!

-Corey
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Entering Collection References

Post by Jon »

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're after, put look up "metatypes" in the user guide (Help menu). They may be helpful.

Of course, you could just edit the Book Chapter format to give you what you want and make sure that the Book itself is cited somewhere (even as an "invisible citation": {!temp cite}

Jon
Sonny Software
Philologist

Post by Philologist »

Hi Corey,

Unfortunately it's not clear what you mean.

What is a "collection"? Groups are also called collections in the User Guide, p. 65, but I guess that's not what you mean. Do you mean a *reference type* such as "Edited book"?
Screen Shot 2015-06-24 at 15.27.24.png
Screen Shot 2015-06-24 at 15.27.24.png (52.64 KiB) Viewed 5723 times
Chapters are entered into Bookends as a special reference type called "Book chapter".

It is also not clear whether you are "struggling to find how to enter reference information" *into* Bookends, or *out of* Bookends into a word processor. These are, of course, two different things.

If Shirley K. Rose and Irwin Weiser are the editors of a book containing articles by many authors, and you want to cite these articles, you would first enter the book and choose "Edited Book" as a reference type. Then you enter each article with the reference type "Book chapter" (here you can use Duplicate from the Refs menu). Now, if you want to cite multiple articles from this book, you first select the articles in the Library Window, then choose Copy Citation from the Edit menu. This should automatically insert temporary citation of each article you selected. When you finally scan the document, the temporary citations will be transformed into full citations. You can tweak the Citation Options according to your reference style in Biblio > Formats Manager > Citation Options

In case I completely misunderstood your intention, please rephrase your post and send again.
Huggbees

Post by Huggbees »

Thanks, Jon! That actually speaks exactly to what I was trying to do, I just wasn't seeing it in the User Guide before. To clarify, by "Collection" I was meaning something like an anthology of a collection of essays, from which I would cite multiple essays or chapters. The "Book : Book Section" metatype addresses precisely what I'm trying to do.

That being said, I'm still having some issues with the metatypes. I'm trying to use the Book : Book Section metatype, and while I've managed to successfully link my references, the output isn't what I'm looking for.

This is what I have entered as the Bibliography Field Order for "Book Section [Book]": a. “t.” [e], p-.
In both the Format Manager and in the Link Inspector, I'm then getting:
Test. "Test Chapter." Albert Zimmermann, 1-40.
Which is just about exactly what I want.

However, when I try to generate a bibliography off of this Book Section and the full Book, I get the following entry, which is the full entry information for the Book Chapter (and formatted just like a "Book Chapter" reference type would be), rather than the desired Book Section [Book] format:
Test. “Test Chapter.” Mensura. Mass, Zahl, Zahlensymbolik Im Mittelalter. Ed. Albert Zimmermann. Vol. 16/1. Miscellanea Medievalia. Berlin: Walder de Gruyter, 1984. 1-40.
I don't know if it matters, but the Book Section is classified as a "Book Chapter" reference type, given there is no reference type specifically for the Book Section as a child and the User Guide specifies not to create a new one.

One last issue is that I would prefer to have the editor for the book appear just with the surname in the child bibliography entry, like this:
Test. "Test Chapter." Zimmermann, 1-40.
Thanks for the help - I hope this is all clear!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

This is far too complicated for this forum, which is not intended for tech support.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2038

If you need help with metatypes please contact tech support (support@sonnysoftware.com).

Jon
Sonny Software