reference types

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
swmartin1960

reference types

Post by swmartin1960 »

Dear Bookenders,

I'm wondering whether there exists, somewhere out there, a collection of Reference Types to supplement those that ship with BE (speech, review, press release, blog post, etc). I realize I could make my own, but am looking to save time (who isn't?) with some already made types. I've entered "reference type" in the forum search, but the terms are too general.

Thanks!

Dr. Stephen W. Martin
Associate Professor of Theology
The King's University
9125-50 St
Edmonton AB T6B 2H3 CANADA

(780) 465-3500 x8046
stephen.martin@kingsu.ca
Jon
Site Admin

Re: reference types

Post by Jon »

There is a Review Type.

I don't think anyone can help you here -- that information is stored in preferences. so it's not easily exchangeable.

Someone could post a list of types and field names/order, though, and you could reproduce it.

Jon
Sonny Software
Philologist

Re: reference types

Post by Philologist »

swmartin1960 wrote:I'm wondering whether there exists, somewhere out there, a collection of Reference Types to supplement those that ship with BE (speech, review, press release, blog post, etc).
Dear Stephen,

I have learned to make a clear distinction between text types (in the sense literary scholars use that term) and reference types when I enter references in Bookends.

You mention speech as an example. Creating a new reference type called "speech" does not make much sense, I think, because the text type speech can be entered as a Book Chapter (if it is a part of a book), as Edited Book (if it is a part of an edited book), as Journal article (if it was published in a Journal), as Newspaper article (if it was published in a newspaper), as TV (if I saw it on the TV), and so on. The same may also apply to press release. How you enter your source depends on *where* you found it.

I created a field which I call "genre", and there I would enter the word "speech". I would also enter "speech" as a Keyword. This would allow me to find all speeches easily by using the Tag cloud, and I could create a Subject Bibliography based on the word "speech" in the Keywords field.

Does this make sense to you?