Idiot proof tutorial about how to add a paper to BE

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Idiot proof tutorial about how to add a paper to BE

Post by Jon »

Clueless wrote:
Here's what I do:
Issue 1: Files are being renamed despite not having that option selected.
The file which was named "Dual EC - A Standardized Back Door (2015).pdf" now becomes "Dual EC - A Standardized Back Door (2015) 439.pdf"
but I did not select "rename". why are local files being altered by adding a number? Why is this not explained to the user? I keep then renaming the files from within BE back to the initial name so reference is not lost. But why do I have to do this for every single file?
Numbers are added when a PDF name is not unique (each attachment name must be unique). If that's not the issue here, please contact tech support and we'll figure out what the problem is (support@sonnysoftware.com).

BTW, when I drag and drop attach your PDF to a database and choose not to rename and not to move, it keeps the original name (which is 767.pdf).
Issue 2: How are searches done?
What data would I enter to get a good search result?
* 1st attempt: First I wanted to try searching the title since that seemed to be the most unique (I didn't find any DOI on the paper, they have a "permament ID" but I am not sure if that is the same as DOI). I marked "Dual EC: A Standardized Back Door" in the preview and wanted to copy paste that to the Title field but I could not enter that field. I could enter and paste into all other fields but not the title field. I have no clue why.
* 2nd attempt: So let's try something different. I copy the entire abstract and copy that to the "Any text" field. That should be unique enough to get me good search results. Select GoogleScholar and hit "search". I see a spinning animation that never finishes. After 5 mins I give up. So that didn't work.
* 3rd attempt: "Year" 2015 and "Author" Ruben Niederhagen: great. GoogleScholar gives me two results but not the one I am looking for. So I click "escape" and the Reference is being created without metadata.

Maybe the paper is "too new" and then again I am not familiar with how this should work.
I assume here you've told Bookends to attach a PDF and get the metadata online:

Different search engines allow different targeted searches. PubMed lets you search by Title, Google Scholar does not. So if Google Scholar is selected that field is disabled, but Any Text is available. Use that field for Google Scholar.

As for the spinning search -- too much text is as bad as too little. You should use just enough text to get an unambiguous (or at least good) match. I can't say why the search hung -- Bookends feeds it to Google Scholar. If you contact tech support with the exact search you did I'll try it and see what happens.

Escape is the same as clicking Close. Since Bookends didn't find the metadata it creates a new empty reference with the PDF attached. This is the intended behavior. As for Google Scholar not finding your reference -- that's Google Scholar. You can do the same search in a browser and should get the same result. If I were you, in cases like this I'd play with the author name (surname first, surname last, etc.) to see if that helps Google Scholar find it. Searching these web sites can be something of an art, you have to know the rules for each (and they vary).

Jon
Sonny Software