Watch Folder

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
jzents

Watch Folder

Post by jzents »

There is clearly something I do not understand about the watch folder, and thus am not able to make efficient use of it. I have all of my PDFs of other people's papers in a folder, grouped in subfolders by the authors names. I have tried making the high level folder the watch folder and that has not helped. I have tried pointing the watch folder at one of the particular authors folders, and none of those were imported. I have actually read the stuff on the watch folder, though of course I cannot promise that the brain was working when I read that, though I did try. Am I not understanding the actual function of the watch folder, or is there something else that I'm missing. I wish I could ask a more specific question but I have no idea why nothing is being imported from the watch folder at this time. Thank you for whatever assistance you can offer! Cheers!
Jeff Zents
South Texas College
jzents

Re: Watch Folder

Post by jzents »

I found a post in here that says the watch folder is only aware of PDFs and such that are added to the folder after it begins watching. Darn. I am trying that out now, and will report back.
Jeff Zents
South Texas College
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Bookends will import only first-level items in the watch folder, not anything in subfolders.

It is the WATCH folder. That means that Bookends watches for changes to the folder contents. If you point it at a folder for the first time, anything in that folder is left as is. If you want Bookends to notice the contents of the folder, you need to move them out of the folder and then drop them back in. That will grab Bookends' attention.

Jon
Sonny Software
jzents

Post by jzents »

That was a helpful suggestion. Thank you!
Jeff Zents
South Texas College