Names of terms lists

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
emiliospeciale

Names of terms lists

Post by emiliospeciale »

According to the manual:
You cannot remove the four default lists: Authors, Editors, Journals, and Keywords.
But in the menu for term lists Editors is Ser editors and Journals is Ser Title. A little confusing.
Another little mistake I have found: in the list of Import filter manager there a little error: Uliversity of Wisconsin-Madison.
Thanks!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Names of terms lists

Post by Jon »

The first isn't a bug. Bookends uses the label used by the default references Type in that menu. So if your default menu Type is Journal Article, Editors will appear as Ser. Editors. It's the same data that's in the Editors field for Books, etc., but name for the Journal Article field.

Jon
Sonny Software
emiliospeciale

Post by emiliospeciale »

I am a little confused, sorry Jon.
How do I get on the list of term lists the default one, namely,
Authors, Editors, Journals, and Keywords?
On my preferences I have (under Refs) chosen Book as my Default New Reference Type.
It seems to me that If I have a book type I get Ser Title term list and I get the same if I am on a Journal type.
But in bibliography a series title is something else than a Journal title.
It would be nice to have a list of the Journals and only Journals, and not the series Title of a Book.
What I am saying is that this way we have a little confusion: the name of a Journal is a very important part of a bibliography whereas the series title to which a book belongs is not so important (and in fact in building the bibliography I do not mention this field for books, but it is fundamental in citing an article in a Journal).
I hope I am clear… Sorry.
Thanks
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Bad example on my part -- Book also is Ser. Editor. Book Chapter would be Editor.

The labels don't really matter, that's the point. It's the field in the database that matters. And the same field is used for slightly different things in different Types. For example, for Journal Articles the 5th field (in the default tab order) is used for Journal Names. For Books it is the Series Title. Of course these are different things, but they are stored in the same field and used differently depending on Type. In the case of Term Lists they appear in the same list.

The Term Lists have nothing to do with which reference is selected or with bibliographies. They are use for autocomplete text, mainly, and can be used for adding keywords and such, and for display of references with the same term (e.g. an author, keyword, etc.). In fact, it is for authors and keywords that Term Lists are most useful, and there is no ambiguity here between reference Types.

Jon
Sonny Software
emiliospeciale

Post by emiliospeciale »

Your explanation is now very clear! Thanks.
I would ad this to the manual, otherwise a person get confused. I was looking for the list of journals name (and only Journals names) and I got a very long list that includes also the series of books (because the field in the database is the same, as you said: a solution could be to have two separate fields, but maybe it is too complicated).

Thank you!
Have a wonderful day.
Newman Noggs

Post by Newman Noggs »

In the "Edited book" entry, what does "ser title" mean? Is it the title of the chapter in the edited book?

Thanks.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

It's meant to be the Series Title (if there is one).

Jon
Sonny Software