Setting up Bookends to work with Ulysses

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
pmcleod

Setting up Bookends to work with Ulysses

Post by pmcleod »

I have just started using Ulysses and Bookends. I have not been able to find any instructions on using them as part of a Ulysses <> Bookends > MS Word workflow. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Setting up Bookends to work with Ulysses

Post by Jon »

You can set Ulysses as your default word processor in Bookends preferences. As for scanning, you'd save the Ulysses file as text or RTF (I'm not sure what it's default format type is, perhaps one of those already) and scan that from within Bookends (Biblio -> Scan a Document).

Jon
Sonny Software
terrydev

Post by terrydev »

I do this all the time but it takes a bit of setting up.

First, in Ulysses, you need to create a markup that works for the Citations. So, Ulysses -> Preferences ->

I copied the MarkuP XL setting and named it Citation Markup

Then under Text I created a Citation markup using the Pipe symbol as the delimiter:

so |murphy 1999 @23|

I do this as I've had issues with Word using more common delimters like Chain brackets { and }. It regularly and with charming spontanaeity changes the font within them.

Set Ulysses as your Word Processor in the Bookends, also in the Preferences I choose the Pipes as delimiter.

Bookends -> Preferences -> Scan and Bib: Temporary Citations

Then I write. Switch to Bookends (Shift-Command-Y), find my cite, copy it (command-c) and switch bacck to Ulysses (command-y) and then command-v inserts the cite.

Then, send it across to Word using the Academic Paper style and scan in Word.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

@terrydev: I would note that Command-C doesn't copy the citation in Bookends, Command-Y (Copy Citation) does. And it also switches to the linked app. I guess that Ulysses doesn't understand the Paste AppleEvent, which is why the Command-V is needed.

Jon
Sonny Software
terrydev

Post by terrydev »

Thanks Jon. I've been going shift-command-y / command-c / command-y and then command v for I don't know how long. Well that's another keystroke saved :)