Collaborating between Endnote and Bookends

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
iandol

Collaborating between Endnote and Bookends

Post by iandol »

I'm about to start writing several collaborative papers working with a Windows+endnote(X7.4) colleague. My usual workflow is Scrivener+Multimarkdown-->ODT+Bookends[1]. Now I can switch to Endnote(X7.5beta)+Word 2016 (I have licences for both), but I really don't want to stop using Bookends (or Scrivener but that's another matter). I will export my bookends library and create an Endnote library for him to use.

So the question is if there is a way to get the unique IDs (called record numbers) of endnote to be the same as Bookends unique ID. That way if my colleague inserts a temp citation, there will be no ambiguous citations to deal with.

Bookends exports the unique ID using <rec-number> but annoyingly Endnote doesn't seem to use it, renumbering linearly on import. I can make temporary citations in Endnote using the "accession number" <accession-num> or the "label" <label>, is there a way to get either of these exported with the unique ID in Bookends? Anyone have any other tips for collaborating between endnote and bookends?

----
[1] I've bought him a Scrivener for PC licence but I doubt he'll switch so I will have to either do more work on merging changes or switch to writing in Word (which after the luxury of Scrivener is like being banished to hard labor in Siberia!!!)
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Collaborating between Endnote and Bookends

Post by Jon »

EndNote numbers refs from 1..n, so it won't take Bookends unique IDs. On the other hand, if you import from EndNote -> Bookends, Bookends will keep their ids. Note that you don't have to use the unique id in a temp citation (and neither does EndNote). You can use content from the reference that makes it unique. In Bookends, you'd use 'Cite by content' (set in preferences). I don't know what you'd do in EndNote, but your colleague may.

Jon
Sonny Software
iandol

Post by iandol »

Both BE and Endnote seem to work OK with just Page numbers, which is an option Endnote offers:
Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 08.56.15.png
Screen Shot 2016-02-09 at 08.56.15.png (94.93 KiB) Viewed 9385 times
One slight annoyance is the BE option to use content can make the temp citation very long:

Code: Select all

{Self and Roelfsema, 2015, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 112, 6784-6785}

vs. 

{Self, 2015, 6784-6785}
As I still wanted to make sure my unique IDs were preserved in the endnote import, here is a ruby script for anyone who may have the same requirement, it just created a label field with the unique ID, just pass it an XML file on the command line:

Code: Select all

#!/usr/bin/env ruby
#encoding: utf-8
# simply add labels equal to the record number for Bookends -> Endnote exports
Encoding.default_external = Encoding::UTF_8
Encoding.default_internal = Encoding::UTF_8

puts "===> Parsing XML using Ruby V.#{RUBY_VERSION}"
infilename = ARGV[0]
fail "Please specify an existing file!" unless infilename and File.exist?(infilename)

File.open(infilename, "r+") do |f|
	fout = []
	recNum = %r[(<rec-number>(\d+)</rec-number>)]
	repNum = '<rec-number>\2</rec-number><label><style face="normal" size="100%">\2</style></label>'
	lines = f.readlines
	lines.each do |line|
		newline = line.gsub!(recNum,repNum)
		fout.push(newline)
	end
	newfilename = infilename.gsub(/\.xml/,'PARSE.xml')
	File.open(newfilename, "w") do |ff|
		puts "===> Trying to write output to " + newfilename
		fout.each do |line|
			ff.puts(line)
		end
	end
end
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You can create your own temp citation content by using a format. Do not use a journal format, but create one specifically for what you want. For example, first author, year, and page range.

Jon
Sonny Software
iandol

Post by iandol »

Yes, that works great thanks Jon
mutsumik

Post by mutsumik »

Hi,

I'm in the same situation. I use Bookends with Scrivener on my Mac for writing at work, but I need to work in Windows + Endnote environment once I need to share draft documents with colleagues and the editor. How do I allow my colleagues/editor to change citations/references, and then have the document back on my Mac for further editing? I have read this thread, but don't quite understand what exactly I need to do. Can someone please explain in simpler terms?

Thank you.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

We have one solution in our FAQ. And in the next update you can create temp citations that use the PMID (if you're in the biomedical sciences), which both Bookends and EndNote will resolve.

https://www.sonnysoftware.com/faq/faq.h ... _that_have

Jon
Sonny Software
mutsumik

Post by mutsumik »

Hi Jon,

Thank you for your prompt response! So, to clarify, is this the correct workflow when writing with colleagues who use Windows?:
1) work on a document using Bookends' temporary form.
2) when the document is done as a draft, export the Bookends library and pass it on to my colleagues (via email, network drive, etc), so that they can import the library into their Endnote.
3) My colleagues will work on the draft document, using Endnote. This will involve editing the items in the library that's been imported into Endnote (in cases where some information is missing or incorrect). They may also insert new references and citations into the document using Endnote.
4) When my colleagues are done editing the document and entries in the Endnote library, they export their Endnote library as XML. They send it to me.
5) I import the Endnote library as a XML file into my Bookends.
6) I unformat the Word document to turn all the in-text citations into the temporary form.
7) I scan the document with Bookends.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That can work. If their citations contain the reference id, make sure to import their XML into an empty Bookends library when you're ready to scan. That way the Bookends unique ID will match their ID.

Try this with a simple document with one or two citations first. Make the entire round trip and see if it works for you.

Jon
Sonny Software