using Bookends with Scrivener and Pages/Word not working

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
pigpuddle

using Bookends with Scrivener and Pages/Word not working

Post by pigpuddle »

Hi,

I'm sort of at my wit's end here. I've done a bit of searching and I haven't seen anything dealing with my precise problems, but forgive me if I've overlooked something. Either because of an OS update or one of my pieces of software, something since the last time I've tried to make my usual workflow work has changed, breaking everything, but I can't figure out what. I'm posting here because I think the problem may be with Bookends, but I could obviously be wrong.

I am using OS 10.11.6 (beta). I write in Scrivener (2.7) and am using Bookends (12.7.1) to insert citation links. So far, so good. The problem comes when I then compile the Scrivener file to any other format which is normally scannable by Bookends, since Bookends cannot scan Scrivener documents (unless this has changed and I am now uninformed). No matter which file type I choose, and no matter whether I open the document in Word (15.13.1) or Pages (5.6.2), the scan that should replace the links with actual citations fails. When attempting this from within Word, the script that normally carried this out perfectly hangs until Word crashes. When using Pages, Bookends produces an error, either "Can't get path to Pages document" or says it cannot read the Pages document.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Charles
Jon
Site Admin

Re: using Bookends with Scrivener and Pages/Word not working

Post by Jon »

Bookends can't scan Pages files, you have to use Biblio -> Scan Open Pages Document.

But I have the impression that most Scrivener users save as RTF and then scan that with Bookends (or scan from within Word). You say Word crashes? Or is it Bookends?

Jon
Sonny Software
pigpuddle

Post by pigpuddle »

Jon wrote:Bookends can't scan Pages files, you have to use Biblio -> Scan Open Pages Document.
Right - that's what I'm attempting.
Jon wrote:But I have the impression that most Scrivener users save as RTF and then scan that with Bookends (or scan from within Word). You say Word crashes? Or is it Bookends?
Just Word crashes, and only when choosing "scan document" from within Word. I can enter additional citations just fine.

The faulty path error with Pages occurs when I open a .doc/.docx file in Pages, and then choose "Scan Open Apple Pages Document" within Bookends. When I convert that .doc/.docx to a .pages file and choose "Scan Open Apple Pages Document" within Bookends, Bookends crashes, but not Pages. Not only that, though, but it always takes two attempts to reopen Bookends, as after force-quitting and clicking on the program to launch it does nothing the first time, but opens Bookends on the second attempt.
pigpuddle

Post by pigpuddle »

I should note, too, that when I attempted this with the document in Word 14.5.5, which I just discovered I still have installed for some reason, it goes off without a hitch. So there must be something going on with the newer version of Word and the script.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The error about the path is from the Finder, not Bookends. I've had some reports of this, and a reboot of the Mac usually fixes it.

As for the Word crashing, I can't be of much help since of course I can't do anything about that. Since an older version of Word works, I'd reinstall the newer one and try that.

If you have further problems please contact tech support directly, the forum is not the place to deal with them.

Jon
Sonny Software
bennynoise

Post by bennynoise »

I am experiencing the same problem with Bookends and Pages when trying to scan a document to create the bibliography.

When I klick "Scan Open Apple Pages Document", it says "Can't get path to Pages document".
When I klick "Scan Document…", it says "Bookends can't scan this Pages document".

A reboot of Pages, Bookends, and the Mac itself did not fix it.

I am using Pages 5.6.2 on OSX 10.11.5
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The "Can't get path to Pages document" error is from the OS -- it's a Finder problem, not Bookends (although of course it affects Bookends). Rebooting the Mac usually takes care of it. Can you try another Mac?

Jon
Sonny Software
bennynoise

Post by bennynoise »

I cannot try another mac and, as I stated, rebooting did not resolve the issue.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Then you might try a guest account on your Mac. As I said, this is an error in the Finder, it has nothing to do with Bookends per se. The Finder is telling you that it can't find the path to the Apple Pages document (this is an error in AppleEvents).

Jon
Sonny Software
shatners.bassoon

Post by shatners.bassoon »

I'm having the same problem- sounds like the issue is with finder, but nevertheless is there any workaround/resolution as without being able to generate a reference list/in-text citations Bookends becomes a non-option - which would be gutting as it's the best ref manager I'ver ever used
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

If you are referring to the "Can't get path to Pages document" problem, a reboot is all I can suggest. But be aware that this is only a problem with Pages, other word processors work fine. And if you're saving RTF from Scrivener as the original poster was, Bookends can scan the RTF file as well.

Jon
Sonny Software
shatners.bassoon

Post by shatners.bassoon »

Yes it was the "Can't get path to Pages document" problem and a reboot had no impact sadly. I'm generally using Pages now, but will try to export from there as an RTF ...
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Unfortunately, because of Apple, Pages is the most problematic word processor that Bookends works with. If Bookends is a major part of your workflow I'd avoid it, if possible.

Jon
Sonny Software
jzents

Post by jzents »

While I love Pages myself—wrote the first chapter of the dissertation in it (the old Pages)—the problems with it have lead me away from it as well. If you are using Scrivener, try Nisus Writer Pro. It has native RTF format and is very nice. Or, try Mellel. Mellel is a dream with Bookends and imports RTF as well. Both work decently with Dragon for Mac for what that is worth. Cheers!
Jeff Zents
South Texas College