Single column reference list improvements (suggestions)

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
benjaminpelissie

Single column reference list improvements (suggestions)

Post by benjaminpelissie »

Hi,

I really prefer single column reference list views, but I think Bookends' one is a little messy and deserves some UI improvements. Obviously these are only my views and I would like to know what people think about it.

1. (this one applies to the entire app) Scrolling in Bookends is horrible. It is really the one point that bothers me each and every day. Almost all mac applications (especially mac-only ones), if not applications from any platform, has smooth scrolling. Why not Bookends? It's not a gimmick to me (and to most of users I guess), but rather helps navigating through content effortlessly and pleasantly. Currently, scrolling in single column view is almost crippling. I can't remember how many times I am struggling with it, going back and forth (up and down) to locate a reference in this view mode. I really believe that 2016 is late enough to implement smooth scrolling throughout the app.

2. Displaying the field used to sort the list in the list header is a nice modification (thanks!). However, clicking on it automatically switches back to sorting by title. It would be nice to be able to chose the sorting field by clicking on it (or on a little triangle, like in the left side pane).

3. Each card (imo) takes too much vertical space. Compressing the text vertically and diminishing the cards' height would aesthetically improve readability. Currently, everything seems a little scattered.

4. The rating field should have a consistent place in each card, in order to facilitate its assessment. Lower-right corner would be ideal.

5. URL field could be removed from the text and replaced by a little icon under the attachments' icon, which would be more consistent from a design purpose. Currently, this "[URL] is a real eye-catcher.

Please share your thoughts! Bye!

Ben

PS: (in case my words would cast doubt on my opinion about the app) I love Bookends...
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Single column reference list improvements (suggestions)

Post by Jon »

List scrolling is not something I can change. If that becomes possible in the future I will.

As for the rest, let's see what others think. Frankly, I'd just remove [URL] altogether. I don't think it's very useful.

Jon
Sonny Software
benjaminpelissie

Re: Single column reference list improvements (suggestions)

Post by benjaminpelissie »

I would remove URL too! I was being nice with it because I don't know wether people use it or not. Too bad for scrolling though...:(
Ben