URL on Notes/Notecards

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
mnvwvnm

URL on Notes/Notecards

Post by mnvwvnm »

Hi,

I think the last version of Bookends has a bug with the URL's on Notes tab and Note stream.
If we create links on Notes tab, when we change to another reference (or to Note stream), the links are missing (only remains the url text).
On Note stream, if we make links inside a notecard, when we close the edition the links are lost again!
This is a new bug?

Thanks.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: URL on Notes/Notecards

Post by Jon »

You mean links created using Edit -> Copy Hypertext LInk? Bookends has never been able to save links in text fields.

Jon
Sonny Software
mnvwvnm

Post by mnvwvnm »

Thanks Jon.
Maybe I'm wrong...
But for example: when I write a url on a note (eg.: bookends://sonnysoftware.com/5 or https://books.google.pt) I select the url text and, with right click, on context menu, the first two choices are: "Open URL" or "Make Link". If I want to record the link I choose "Make Link". The link is made and the url text appears as a link: blue and underlined (and works!).
From this point on happens what I mentioned on my first post.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The Make Link option isn't coded by us, it's being inserted by the OS (frankly I hadn't noticed that before). It will create a hypertext link, but when Bookends stores/retrieves the text it loses that functionality. I recall looking into this a while ago and deciding that there's nothing I can do about that, but I can revisit it when I have some time.

Jon
Sonny Software
mnvwvnm

Post by mnvwvnm »

Ok Jon, thanks
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

In the next update Bookends will allow hypertext links to be pasted into any field in the Main tab and the Notes field. You can use Edit -> Copy HyperText Link -> Copy As Link to create such a link to another reference in Bookends, or use similar commands in other apps that support such links (such as Edit -> Copy Item Link in DEVONthink Pro). There are a few minor restrictions that will be outlined in the release notes.

With this new capability it should be easier to design your own relationships between apps.

Jon
Sonny Software