Reprinted book

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
jzents

Reprinted book

Post by jzents »

I am slightly confused on this one. I have several books by an author which have been reprinted recently, but whose original publication date was say 1956. I have tried putting 1956 in the original publication field, but only the current date shows and nothing shows that it is a reprint. I have tried putting 1956 in the original date field, and 1992 in the reprint field and I still get nothing. I would have thought that I have gotten something. By the way, I'm using a very slight variation on the Chicago 16 B format. So what am I missing here, how do I get or what format do I start with to get bookends to recognize that a particular book is a reprint addition from an original. Sorry if I am missing something obvious, but I seem extremely good at that.
Jeff Zents
South Texas College
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Reprinted book

Post by Jon »

The format has to be configured to output the original publication field. You have to edit it. You should refer to the user guide (Help menu) on how formats work. And this video tutorial will get you started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CowJRIu ... load_owner

Jon
Sonny Software
jzents

Post by jzents »

Jon wrote:The format has to be configured to output the original publication field. You have to edit it. You should refer to the user guide (Help menu) on how formats work. And this video tutorial will get you started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CowJRIu ... load_owner

Jon
Sonny Software
Yeah, I was afraid that it would be that rather than there being some simple trick. I will be reading the manual and watching the video this weekend. Thanks for confirming my fear. Cheers!
Jeff Zents
South Texas College
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Nothing to fear at all. Editing formats is quite simple. The tutorials take you through it, for complex situations the user guide provide more information.

To get you started, the Original Publication field is called, internally, User6, and referred to in the format order field as u6.

So just enter

u6

in the format order where you want the original publication info to be output.

Jon
Sonny Software