Custom Parent - Child Format:

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Adrian Petre

Custom Parent - Child Format:

Post by Adrian Petre »

Dear all,

I have a problem for which the solution eludes me. I want to create a custom Turban format for the signed dictionary/encyclopaedia like this:
Frank A. Spina, “Rahab,” The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (ISBE), completely rev. and reset ed. (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1979-1988), 4:33.

The subsequent citations have to be like this:
Spina, “Rahab,” ISBE, 4:34.

But, if I quote another article from the same book (first time or subsequent) the format should be similar:
Howard F. Vos, “Kaiwan,” ISBE, 3:2.

I have created a parent-child link. The parent is
The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (ISBE), completely rev. and reset ed. (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1979-1988).

The child is each article ("Rahab", "Kaiwan" etc.). The child is a custom type called "signed article". The problem I encounter is that I cannot keep the first quotation of the second different article from ISBE in the short (subsequent) format. In other words, I need this order automatically:

First quotation of the first article from ISBE:
Frank A. Spina, “Rahab,” The International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (ISBE), completely rev. and reset ed. (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1979-1988), 4:33.

Second quotation of the first article from ISBE:
Spina, “Rahab,” ISBE, 4:34.

First quotation of the second article from ISBE:
Howard F. Vos, “Kaiwan,” ISBE, 3:2.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Custom Parent - Child Format:

Post by Jon »

Metatypes are complicated with many different critical parameters (your references, format, linkage, etc.), any of which can be wrong -- I can't tell what the problem might be with a format you created from a forum post. You should contact tech support and attach your format, a tiny library with the two references involved, and a tiny (one line) document with a citation. If you haven't tried, you would use metatypes to create such a format -- again, you can contact tech support for help if you are having problems getting this to work.

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Custom Parent - Child Format:

Post by Jon »

After reading this post multiple types I see what you're getting at (sorry, it's dense and I saw it late at night). You can't do what you want. That is, you can't tell Bookends to use the secondary order for a reference based the previous citation of a different reference.

Jon
Sonny Software