Ibid & footnote problem

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Tinpa

Ibid & footnote problem

Post by Tinpa »

Hello,

"Ibid" is used when citing a new reference that is from the same text as the preceding reference. My problem is that when in Mellel there is a footnote texte between these two citation without a reference (only text), bookends continues to place "ibid" instead of "op. cit.".
what should I do? there is a solution in Mellel or bookends?

Thinks :!:
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Ibid & footnote problem

Post by Jon »

Bookends doesn't know anything about the text in Mellel, just the citations. So if the last citation Bookends sees is the same as the new one, it will use Ibid. To be clear, Bookends doesn't even know if the citation is in the body of the text, a footnote, or a figure legend. It just knows that there is a citation to be formatted and sends it back to Mellel for insertion. If you want op. cit., you'll have to correct it post-scan (note that if you scan after that the Ibid. will reappear, so don't correct it until you're finished with the paper).

Jon
Sonny Software
Tinpa

Post by Tinpa »

Thank you very much for the quick answer!
Philologist

Post by Philologist »

Dear Tinpa,

I would be very much interested in hearing why you are using "ibid" and"op. cit." When I was a student many years ago, one of the first things I was being told by my teachers was, not to use "ibid" and"op. cit."

Are there any styles today that explicitly require the use of these abbreviations?

Today I came across words written in 1997 by Larry Trask from the University of Sussex. I think they hit the nail on the head.
"…[the] outrageous habit of citing references with the Latin abbreviations ibid. and op. cit. What do these mean? Well, ibid. means "This is another reference to the last thing I cited; it's back there somewhere, maybe only a page or two, if you're lucky." And op. cit. means "This is another reference to the work by this author which I cited some time ago, and, if you want to know what it is, you can leaf back through twenty-five or fifty pages to find it, you miserable peasant." (Technically, they mean 'in the same place' and 'in the work cited', but my explanations are far more honest.) Don't use these ghastly things. A writer who uses them is expressing utter contempt for the reader, and should be turned over to the Imperial Chinese Torturer for corrective treatment."
http://www.sussex.ac.uk/informatics/pun ... references
danad

Post by danad »

I have a similar situation regarding Ibid. In my case, I have a footnote that falls between Source X and its following Ibid, but the citation in that intervening footnote is in plain text, not linked in from Bookends. Obviously Bookends can't possibly know this.

Would it be possible to use a metacharacter to tell Bookends to suppress outputting Ibid. (much like the ! and $ already work)? I'd think that would solve the problem.

(BTW, in response to the above: the Chicago Manual of Style still calls for the use of Ibid, but not op. cit. etc.).
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

It's possible a metacharacter could be added, but you can perhaps handle this yourself now entering the final citation as text and by using ! to have Bookends remove the temp citation and not replace it with anything.

Jon
Sonny Software
jakecola

Post by jakecola »

I see in the new User Guide for v. 12.7.9 that there is a metacharacter for suppressing Ibid. in temporary citations: =. However, when I began a temporary citation with = that I wanted to suppress Ibid., it showed up anyway. When I went to check the temp citation, the = wasn't there. Is this just a bug? Love that you added the suppress Ibid. metacharacter, just not working for me right now.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

If you are NOT using Mellel, please contact tech support.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2038

Jon
Sonny Software
jakecola

Post by jakecola »

I'm using Mellel with Bookends.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

This is from the release notes:

• Added a metacharacter to suppress the use of Ibid. for a particular citation
If a temporary citation begins with =, Bookends will not output an Ibid. in the final scanned citation even if it were otherwise called for. This is handy, for example, when a citation occurs at the end of one section (e.g. a chapter) and again at the beginning of the next, and the use of Ibid. in the latter would be confusing. This feature does not yet work with Mellel.

I was hoping that Mellel would be updated before now to be compatible, but it hasn't been.

Jon
Sonny Software
MalteA

Post by MalteA »

Hi Jon and all,

If I may dig up this older thread: I have an issue that is linked to suppressing the ibid (or in German "ebd."). I often use the possibility to put something ahead of the citation like "see: " ("vgl. " in German). So I use the backslash function of Bookends to produce something like this: "\vgl. \Laclau 2007@224". Bookends then formats it the way it should, except, if I used the author before it will show this instead of the whole citation: (vgl. ebd. 224). Now my problem appears: If I try to suppress the "ebd." using "=" within the citation it won't work. If I put the "=" in front of the citation like this: "=\vgl. \Laclau 2007@224" bookends will delete the "=". If I put it in between like this: "\vgl. \=Laclau 2007@224" it doesn't affect the citation at all. I didn't find a solution to this specific problem. Maybe someone else did or has an Idea? Clearly I am missing the logic of Bookends here... :roll:

Many thanks in advance and best regards,

Malte
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The = doesn't mean to remove the letters "ebd.", it means to ignore the "ibid setting" of the format for that reference and output the full citation again. For example, if you end one paragraph with a citation and then use it in the next paragraph: you may want it output fully again so it's clear which reference you're referring to.

Once you've told Bookends to use ibid there is no way to prevent it from being output. In this case you may simply let it be output,or simply enter the citation as text, not to be scanned.

Jon
Sonny Software