Workflow logistics between Mac and Windows/Ubuntu

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
iljajj

Workflow logistics between Mac and Windows/Ubuntu

Post by iljajj »

Hi all,

After having been a happy all-Mac user for some time, my new work laptop is probably going to be a Lenovo T460 for a number of reasons. Regarding my ref library, that is obviously going to create some issues. Now, I mostly write on my own laptop and that is going to continue, but it would be good to have access to my library on the office machine too, so I'm looking for a way to create a somewhat easy workflow to regularly update my Windows / Ubuntu machine with the library from Bookends. I haven't decided on the ref manager on the Win/Lin machine yet, but that is probably going to be a passive library, so I don't need the communication to go both ways (it would be phenomenally convenient if it could, but that is probably impossible for the moment).

Do any of you have tips regarding which app to use, and how? Zotero? Endnote (preferably not)?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Workflow logistics between Mac and Windows/Ubuntu

Post by Jon »

I know little about Windows (and nothing about Ubuntu), but if you want to transfer refs (in either direction) the best way is to export from Bookends as XML (EndNote), which I believe all reference managers can handle. Note that some handle it better than others, so you'd have to see for yourself. For Windows I've heard that Citavi is a popular choice for those that want to avoid EndNote. Of course Zotero and Medley are freemium apps (meaning free to use but cost money if you want to sync them across machines/iOS/Android devices).

Jon
Sonny Software
iljajj

Re: Workflow logistics between Mac and Windows/Ubuntu

Post by iljajj »

Thanks for that, Jon. I'm still hoping to acquire a Mac, but the chances are slim I'm afraid.