Unable to scan doc or use

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
jzents

Unable to scan doc or use

Post by jzents »

I am having trouble scanning a document. This document is a little bit complicated in history so let me summarize it briefly. It is a chapter of my dissertation that I wrote in the old version of Pages (Pages 4.X). I'm not particularly happy with the new Pages for my dissertation, so I wanted to move the whole thing over to Mellel. So the first thing I did was with the document in Pages was that I fixed all of the citations in the document to bring them up to the standards of the way my citations are in Bookends. (This chapter was also written when I was using Sente as my reference manager and I am now just getting around to updating the citations. I am using the {} set up as delimiters.) Next, I exported the document to Word. I then imported the Word document to Mellel and corrected all of the formatting and fixed all of the cotton picking footnotes that were lost. That took me all morning. I then went to set up the bibliography for this chapter. I tried turning on live bibliography. It said it was scanning the document and nothing happened. I did not get a bibliography. It's I have tried unscanning the document, and rescanning it with the same result. Now the interesting thing is if I add a new citation it works just fine. But all of the old citations, and as far as I can tell I have done them correctly, simply act as if they're not there. Bookends does not see them at all when I scan. I've tried scanning without live bibliography on and that does not work either. Does anybody have any idea what is going on here and what I can do to fix this short of reentering all of the citations for this chapter again? Thank you for your time and attention! I really do appreciate it! I will attach the chapter of my dissertation in Mellel, for anyone to look at and tell me if maybe I have somehow screwed up the citation format. I realize I might've gotten the ID numbers wrong, but it doesn't even act like it sees them and doesn't recognize the ID numbers. Furthermore, I seriously doubt I could've gotten all of the ID numbers wrong. Well I won't do that because it will not take a Mellel file. I will attache a PDF of the chapter. It will not let me do that, either. Sorry.
Jeff Zents
South Texas College
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Unable to scan doc or use

Post by Jon »

In Mellel, did you convert the text citations to Mellel citation objects?

Jon
Sonny Software
jzents

Post by jzents »

Excellent question. Did not know about that or if I ever did under the stress of the moment I forgot. I will look into that. Thank you! I will post back with results.
Jeff Zents
South Texas College
jzents

Post by jzents »

Well, as I did what Jon recommended I realized he has had to tell me to do this once before. I do feel dumb. I always forget that Mellel has a very thick layer between the user and Bookends. I am not complaining about it, it is great, but is usually works so well that I tend to forget that it is there. Cheers!
Jeff Zents
South Texas College
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Bookends and Mellel are highly integrated. If you insert temp citations from Bookends, Mellel knows that they are actually citation objects and treats them accordingly. But in your case you went around Bookends and simply opened a .docx or .rtf file in Mellel, which has no idea that there are citations there or not. You have to tell Mellel what a citation looks like in that case and it will make the necessary conversions to citation objects.

Jon
Sonny Software