starting over

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
opsimathphd

starting over

Post by opsimathphd »

Over the course of the years in which I've been dabbling with Bookends, I've changed the names of the fields, often in contradictory and confusing ways. I'd really like to start fresh and create a new bibliography with brand-new preferences. Is there a way to do that? Trashing a plist file or something like that?

Thanks.
opsimathphd

Re: starting over

Post by opsimathphd »

Really? Nobody has an idea of how to do this??
Dellu

Post by Dellu »

Why don't you create a new library and drag the old references?
Exporting the references and re-importing them to a new library is another choice.

You can also setup your old system as you want and rebuild your library.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You should remove your preferences files from the Bookends folder. I'll assume you started with Bookends 11 and are now using 12.7.7. In this case move the files

Bookends 11 Preferences
Bookends 12 Preferences
Bookends Preferences

out of the folder

~/Library/Application Support/Bookends

and relaunch Bookends.

Note: you can also get to that folder via Bookends Help -> Show Bookends Folder in Finder.

Jon
Sonny Software
opsimathphd

Post by opsimathphd »

Thank you both. Unfortunately, I have already tried everything suggested, and none of it worked: despite my having removed more than one preference file, the old preferences were still there when I opened the library; ditto when starting a new library. I have had Bookends on more than one machine, so now I have removed it completely from one of them, using an app uninstaller to get all associated files, and will try reinstalling.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

By old preferences, what do you mean? Some preferences are stored in the database itself where it makes sense (such as the window position of the database when it's closed and relaunched). I think you should contact tech support and send screen snaps of the Finder, should which files you actually removed and from where.

Jon
Sonny Software