Moving to new Mac - best practices

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
Cassady

Moving to new Mac - best practices

Post by Cassady »

Hello all,

Any suggestions i.r.o. making the move to a new Mac, so as to maintain the integrity of my Library - and not have the links between them and their attachments break?

Had a look at the Manual, but cannot seem to find anything specific regarding how best to make the move across.
Cassady

Re: Moving to new Mac - best practices

Post by Cassady »

New Mac hopefully arriving Friday, or Monday.

Anyone have thoughts on my question above?

Does the full pathname of the current Attachments folder matter - or will it be fine to simply copy the entire Attachments folder, put it wherever on the new Mac, and point BE towards it?

Copying the actual library will presumably merely involve the copying of the complete library file, so not overly concerned about that.
But any tips i.r.o. the Formats I have created? Are those stored separately, and do they need to be pulled across and dropped somewhere specific?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

If your attachments are in the default folder, just move them to the same location on the new Mac (you may have to adjust preferences, depending on where they are).

Move your Custom folders to the corresponding location on the new Mac (again, you may have to point there in preferences). You don't need to do anything about the factory default formats/filters/glossaries.

Jon
Sonny Software
Cassady

Post by Cassady »

Jon wrote:If your attachments are in the default folder, just move them to the same location on the new Mac (you may have to adjust preferences, depending on where they are).

Move your Custom folders to the corresponding location on the new Mac (again, you may have to point there in preferences). You don't need to do anything about the factory default formats/filters/glossaries.

Jon
Sonny Software
Thanks Jon - just want to confirm what you mean by 'same' location?

Currently, my attachment folder that BE points to is sitting on a secondary internal drive:

/Volumes/Goldfish/Academics (BE12)/Bookends Attachments

Were I to move this folder to the new Mac, is the drive name relevant (or can I have Volumes/Unicorn/OtherFolders/Bookends Attachments) – i.e. different volume/different top-level folder system?

My initial thinking was that I could put the "Bookends Attachment" folder (containing all the attachments) anywhere, and then simply point BE to them in the preferences settings - but now I am unsure.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You were right the first time, you can put them anywhere and just point Bookends to them. If the new Mac uses the same external drive, just point Bookends to the old folder.

Jon
Sonny Software