How to sync attachments with iOS devices

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
JamesAFoster

How to sync attachments with iOS devices

Post by JamesAFoster »

I want to be able to see all the pdf attachments from my mac on my iPad. How do I do that?

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious. I set the preferences I could, and checked the manual. But Attachments on my iPad only has some fields, not the whole pdf.
james a. foster
JamesAFoster

Re: How to sync attachments with iOS devices

Post by JamesAFoster »

Has anyone sync'd attachments between OSX and IOS using iCloud? I followed the instructions, and have all my citations, but NONE of my attachments, on the iPad.

On the iPad, I do have (unshaded) paperclips next to the references with attachments. But when I click on them, nothing happens.

Also, I don't see any files on iCloud related to Bookends.

Clearly, I've missed a step somewhere.
james a. foster
Serge

Post by Serge »

Please use a helper app from this thread.
JamesAFoster

Post by JamesAFoster »

Alas, that didn't work.

I now have a Bookends folder on iCloud, whether I look from the Mac or the iPad.

On the iPad, my references that should have attachments all have solid blue paperclips. But when I click on the paperclip, nothing happens. I don't get attachments.

And when I click on the Attachments smart group, on the iPad, it lists all the references that should have attachments. But again, when I click on the paperclip, nothing happens.

The iCloud directory still has no pdfs in it, which I also find surprising.
james a. foster
Serge

Post by Serge »

• In preferences, set your default attachment folder to iCloud Drive.
• Move your attachments to iCloud Drive/Bookends folder.

Please see the user guide for how cloud sync works, and how to set it up to work with Bookends for iOS and Mac.
Search for "Cloud Sync"
http://www.sonnysoftware.com/bookendsontap/docs/

And that folder wasn't created automatically on your Mac because you didn't follow sync setup instructions where you should import a reference with pdf in Bookends for iOS first.
JamesAFoster

Post by JamesAFoster »

thanks! this worked except for one thing: the smart groups on my mac dont show up on the ipad. they should, right?
james a. foster
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Smart groups on the Mac will not be uploaded to Bookends for iOS when you perform a cloud sync. The search capabilities are far more extensive on the Mac and can’t be duplicated in Bookends for iOS.

Jon
Sonny Software
JamesAFoster

Post by JamesAFoster »

it would suffice to sync the mac contents to the IOS device, without doing the actual search on the IOS device. Of cousre, the IOS version would only be as up-to-date as the last sync, but I am ok with that.

I'm not sure if there is a "feature request" thread here, but this is a feature I could definitley use.
james a. foster