Conditional formatting for two editors "and" without <comma>

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
cox35788

Conditional formatting for two editors "and" without <comma>

Post by cox35788 »

I have a work with two editors who should not be separated by ", and" but simply by "and".

Bookends is doing exactly what it should do for 3+ editors, but can I tell it to do something different for only 2?

Here's my citation:
Sternberg, Meir. “If-Plots: Narrativity and the Law-Code.” Pages 29–107 in Theorizing Narrativity. Edited by J. Pier, and J. A. G. Landa, Berlin: de Gruyter, 2008.

Here's the field order:
a. “t.” $Pages $p– $in $v. $Edited by $e, u14. l: u, d.$ Reprint $u12`.`

Thanks!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Conditional formatting for two editors "and" without <comma>

Post by Jon »

That's set in the format, Names Punctuation tab. Where you tell Bookends what to put between the penultimate and last editor, you enter

and ^, and

Bookends will use what comes before the ^ for two editors and what comes after the ^ if there are more than two editors.

Jon
Sonny Software
jonav1

Post by jonav1 »

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this info! I had a similar situation where a citation was listing two authors as "Lee, and Andrejevic 2014). The comma after the first name was driving me crazy. The info posted by Jon above helped me figure out where I needed to go to fix the issue. I had to input the following under Names Punctuation: " and ^, and" (without the quotation marks). Notice there's a space both before and after the first "and" so it actually appears " and "
Adrian Petre

Post by Adrian Petre »

Jon wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:39 pm That's set in the format, Names Punctuation tab. Where you tell Bookends what to put between the penultimate and last editor, you enter

and ^, and

Bookends will use what comes before the ^ for two editors and what comes after the ^ if there are more than two editors.

Jon
Sonny Software
Hi, Jon,

I need to have in the bibliography a book with two editors, and a comma after the first editor, like this:
Abraham, William J., and Frederick D. Aquino, eds. The Oxford Handbook of the Epistemology of Theology. New York: Oxford University Press, 2017.
Also, I want to have a chapter in an edited book, with two editors:
Abraham, William J., and Frederick D. Aquino. “Introduction: The Epistemology of Theology,” In The Oxford Handbook of the Epistemology of Theology, edited by William J. Abraham and Frederick D. Aquino, 1–6. New York: Oxford University Press, 2017.
How can I have the comma after the first editor when I quote the entire book, and have the comma removed between the two editors when I quote a chapter from an edited book?

If the and ^, and is used and applied for both the authors and editors, then I will miss the comma after the first author:
Abraham, William J. and Frederick D. Aquino, eds. The Oxford Handbook of the Epistemology of Theology. New York: Oxford University Press, 2017
If the and ^, and is used only for either the authors or the editors, then I will have the reverse case.

Looking forward for your reply! Thank you for the great job that you are doing!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I can't think of a clean way to do that. The name punctuation settings apply to all Types. The only way I can think of doing this within Bookends is a kludge -- enter the editors names in a user field the way you want (e.g. William J. Abraham and Frederick D. Aquino) and in the Edited Book type output that field where the editors belong. Ugly, but I think it would work.

Jon
Sonny Software
Adrian Petre

Post by Adrian Petre »

Ok. I will try that. Thank you!
ReneeDegutis

Post by ReneeDegutis »

jonav1 wrote: Thu May 24, 2018 12:43 pm Re: Conditional formatting for two editors "and" without <comma>

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this info! I had a similar situation where a citation was listing two authors as "Lee, and Andrejevic 2014). The comma after the first name was driving me crazy. The info posted by Jon above helped me figure out where I needed to go to fix the issue. I had to input the following under Names Punctuation: " and ^, and" (without the quotation marks). Notice there's a space both before and after the first "and" so it actually appears " and "

Thanks jonav1,
It has just dawned on me why it didn't work in my case (was about to create a new topic here) - just missed a space before the first and. I spent so much time just searching for the solution... I worked only with Scrivener before, so it's just a mess for me now trying to learn how to work with Bookends.
mzumaeta

Post by mzumaeta »

Jon,

Is there now a solution to Adrian Petre’s request regarding the comma between names of the editors in a book and between names of the editors in a chapter with a different author? Or do we still need to resort to the kludge? This is a very common format for those using the SBL handbook of style and the Chicago handbook. Thanks for you help!

Moises
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

The text to use between multiple author and editor names can be different, but they can't be set per Type. So the short answer is no.

Another workaround might be(for Edited Books -- i.e., no authors) to enter the editors' names in the authors field. Then in the format, where e is used to tell Bookends to output the editors, use:

{e^a}

That is a conditional group, which tells Bookends to use the editors' names if available, if not then use the authors' names.

This assumes that the author name punctuation settings are the same as you want for the editors in an edited book (in his example, Abraham, William J., and Frederick D. Aquino).

Will this work for you?

Jon
Sonny Software
mzumaeta

Post by mzumaeta »

Jon,

Using the solution you provided will not work if the author's name punctuation setting are the same as that of the editor. I assume you meant to say that in Name Punctuation "Editors same as authors" should not be check and the names in "Editors" field should be written as desired in body of text. In other words the "Editors" should be used as a kludge. Is that what you meant? Again, what we are trying to get is the following:

For two authors: Berger, Peter, and Thomas Luckmann. The Social Construction of Reality. A Treatise in the Sociology of Knowledge. London: Allen Lane/Penguin, 1967.

For author with two editors: Dahl, Nils A. “The Johannine Church and History.” In Current issues in New Testament Interpretation: Essays in Honor of Otto A. Piper, edited by W. Klassen and G. F. Snyder. New York: Harper, 1962.

Thanks,
Moises
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Yes, it's a kludge of course. You can also enter the editors names the way you want them and terminate each with a comma. Bookends won't apply any formatting to them, just output them as entered:

W. Klassen,
G. F. Snyder,

Jon
Sonny Software
mzumaeta

Post by mzumaeta »

Thanks, Jon! Your suggestion is working well!