Bookends and PubMed

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
khassmil

Bookends and PubMed

Post by khassmil »

A newbie question... (Sorry if this is obvious, I just couldn't figure it out from the user guide.) After I select references from PubMed and send them to a file (so I have a query.fcgi) file, what do I do next? The file is set to open with Bookends as default. When I double click the file, it brings Bookends to the front, and just doesn't seem to do anything else. When I try to import the file from within Bookends (selecting PubMed), the query.fcgi file is not recognized as an import file.

Thanks much!
--kristen
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Hi Kristen,

Three answers:

1. Good: To import the .fcgi file, drag and drop it on a reference window or the Hits window, then select PubMed from the popup menu when given the option.

2. Better: don't use a file at all. At the PubMed web site, output the tagged reference(s) to the screen, select All, Copy, and then switch to Bookends and import from the clipboard.

3. Best: use Reference Miner! It's free, and much, much better than a browser. Import into Bookends by drag and drop.

Jon
Sonny Software