Publisher consistency

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
DarrenIngram

Publisher consistency

Post by DarrenIngram »

Is there a way (if there is, I've not discovered or appreciated the feature) to force imported data to ignore data from a data source and use the approved version of a field?

For example, metadata can have different versions of the publisher "Sage", so if I wanted to standardise on "SAGE Publications" Bookends would know to rewrite imported metadata that had this in the field "SAGE Publications Sage CA: Los Angeles, CA"

*or*

If I then deleted the field's imported contents and started to type-ahead, it would display the only "approved" (by me, by virtue of being in the cleaned database) version(s) of the publisher's name.

Thanks in advance.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Publisher consistency

Post by Jon »

Make Publisher as Term List. In the Term List (either in the left pane or a standalone window) you can merge different items into. For example, drag "Sage" onto "SAGE Publications" and Bookends will convert all to SAGE Publications. And you'll see this when typing in the name and seeing the autocomplete suggestion.

Jon
Sonny Software
DarrenIngram

Post by DarrenIngram »

Thanks. I've not dabbled with term lists before (other than the default items) so I will have a play.

Am I thus correct with my presumption, based on a quick reader of the user guide about term lists following your hint, that any imports can not be tied to/forced to match or use an entry/entries on an existing term list?

At least, if my presumption is correct, it is still simpler with the term list in place, as I just need to remember to delete and retype and accept the "good" entry.

tks
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Bookends imports what is offered. It doesn't know that Sage and Sage Publications are the same thing. But you do. No need to delete are retype -- follow my instructions and all your references published by "Sage" will now be published by "Sage Publications". You may have to update the Term List occasionally as you import new references from "Sage".

Jon
Sonny Software
DarrenIngram

Post by DarrenIngram »

Thanks. Yes the retype reference was if I wanted to avoid cleaning up the list later on, but good to be reminded there is a "bulk" cleaning option.