Fire off a footnote

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
DarrenIngram

Fire off a footnote

Post by DarrenIngram »

Other than making a paper note and remembering to do it at the end when generating the references, is there a way to somehow instruct Bookends to fire a footnote at the relevant time? So you may pre-enter the desired footnote within Bookends in readiness, e.g. to correct an error in a reference, so people don't think I cannot spell!

http://blog.apastyle.org/apastyle/2017/ ... title.html
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Fire off a footnote

Post by Jon »

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question.

Jon
Sonny Software
DarrenIngram

Post by DarrenIngram »

If I had a reference titled "Using Bokends for success" that I needed to use, obviously it has a spelling error.

APA says, however, to NOT correct it in the actual reference, but add a footnote to say the error exists in the reference list.

What I would like to achieve is the way to automatically do this, e.g. somehow make a note in the reference itself, so that when the document is scanned it would know to add a footnote (that I had 'stored' in Bookends) after the title.

As it is, presently, I'd have to make a paper note to add it. Which is ok for one paper, but if I use the same reference again and don't remember...

(unless, maybe, there's an option in the future to check a box so the reference, when viewed, very clearly flags up a note (the same scenario might be to remind the reader to get a better version of the document, to clean up the information or whatever).
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Use a color label in that case. You can also assign the text that defines that color label in preferences (e.g. spelling error, outdated PDF, or whatever).

Jon
Sonny Software
DarrenIngram

Post by DarrenIngram »

OK thanks. No scope now (or in the future) to have an alert in the actual generated reference too (whether the footnote or doing something "odd" such as making the troublesome reference bold or a different colour in the generated output so it stands out when reviewed?)
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You can do that now. In the library, make the title red (or whatever color you prefer). Then it will stand out in the bibliography and you can do with it what you like.

Jon
Sonny Software
DarrenIngram

Post by DarrenIngram »

Wow.. had not thought that this would be possible (I guess as the colour window was hidden by default). Yet the "key" thing of flagging it up in the finished work is still not showing up. In Word at least. Is there a setting in word?

See https://i.imgur.com/NYIFIyi.png (ignore the sentence case, I have to correct that I know for names).

The issue is that today I may recall there is an issue, but if I reuse the same reference in the future, perhaps in a much larger document over an extended time it may be forgotten, so anything that stands out in the document when scanned may just be an (extra) safety measure, if at all possible.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Yes, I see Word doesn't accept the colors. Use bold, italic, underline, or whatever trigger you want for the title or elsewhere, then. It really doesn't matter what you do, you need some flag in the output reference. It's up to you what to choose.

Jon
Sonny Software
DarrenIngram

Post by DarrenIngram »

OK will do that. Strikethrough also did not work so have had to bold/underline to try and make it stand out.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Bookends doesn't support strikethrough, just bold, italic, underline.

Jon
Sonny Software