Full screen on secondary screen seems broken

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
alanterra

Full screen on secondary screen seems broken

Post by alanterra »

I am a new user of Bookends, so please forgive me if this is due to a misunderstanding of the user interface.

If I put the bookends window on my main screen and click the green zoom button (or choose "Enter Full Screen") the window zooms to its own "Space" and then resets the panes to feature the attached pdf.

If I move the bookends window to my secondary screen and click the green zoom button, the window zooms to its own space, but the window panes don't reset, and the attachment pane below the reference list (if showing) goes gray. If I unzoom and rezoom with the "Enter Full Screen" command, then the panes do reset like on the main screen, but the attachment screen is gray and doesn't show the pdf.

Two (possible) bugs then:
1) click on green zoom button and "Enter Full Screen" show different behavior only when the window is on the secondary screen
2) The pdf pane becomes gray, and doesn't show the pdf, when the full-screen window is on the secondary display

You can also see this behavior if you make the window full screen on your main screen, and then enter "Spaces" and move the window to your secondary screen. The pdf display comes back if you move it to your main screen.

Note that the right hand panel continues to show the attachments, if that is what is selected, in all cases.

Is this intentional? Does this happen for others?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Full screen on secondary screen seems broken

Post by Jon »

It's not intentional, and I have no idea what's causing it (full screen on the Mac is black box, we don't control anything about it). Another user who reported this says disconnecting the external monitor, using Bookends on the main monitor, and reconnecting the external monitor fixed it. YMMV.

Jon
Sonny Software
alanterra

Post by alanterra »

Thanks for the reply, Jon.

I suspect that the difference between clicking on the green button and choosing "Enter Full Screen" is in your purview, since the behavior is different on a secondary screen. Perhaps you have set things up to be notified when the window goes full screen, and the notification doesn't happen in certain circumstances.

The fix you suggested doesn't work. Again, I suspect that you are missing an update window message of some sort.

Not a fatal problem, obviously. I'll update this thread if anything changes on my end.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Even if true that were true it wouldn't explain the behavior. The PDFView is associated with the window, its drawing isn't being handled by Bookends, but by the OS. If you learn anything more please let me know (you should email tech support, which is a better way to work through issues).

Jon
Sonny Software
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

I used Spaces to make a second desktop and move Bookends there. I don't see a problem going to full screen (by either method) though.

Jon
Sonny Software
freney

Post by freney »

I've found there to be weird things with drawing too. Usually in full screen clicking on one type of display then back again seems to refresh, but not always.

Here's some screenshots that might be helpful. Bookends 13.0.2, macOS 10.13.1.

Setting bookends to full screen on secondary monitor (I've got a Mac Mini with 2 screens attached, so 'secondary' is only sort of arbitrary) initially has gray areas that aren't properly drawn:
Bookends_secondary_initial.jpg
Bookends_secondary_initial.jpg (198.03 KiB) Viewed 6717 times
Clicking on "formatted reference" refreshes these gray areas. Clicking "Attachments" for this lower pane is always blank, no matter what else I do:
Bookends_secondary_pdf.jpg
Bookends_secondary_pdf.jpg (244.66 KiB) Viewed 6717 times
freney

Post by freney »

Continued:

If I move this window to be full screen on my "primary" monitor, the reference display works fine:
Bookends_primary_text.jpg
Bookends_primary_text.jpg (230.37 KiB) Viewed 6716 times
[EDIT: realized that the 100% height PDF is a "full screen PDF thing" that is apparently a feature, not a bug. But unexpected! In any case, the PDF does indeed display when on the 'primary' monitor.]
Attachments
Bookends_primary_pdf.jpg
Bookends_primary_pdf.jpg (149.72 KiB) Viewed 6716 times
alanterra

Post by alanterra »

Hi freney. I think what you are seeing is consistent with what I saw.
MattN

Post by MattN »

I am testing Bookends - coming from Sente - and I see the same (greyed out window panes) behaviour as in the screen shots above only on a second screen when I invoke fullscreen (Mac mini, 10.11.6). I am working around it by "Option-clicking" the green button so that the window maximises, but doesn't actually go into fullscreen.

I should note that when going into Full sceen on my main monitor, the PDF viewer goes full height and the reference list is hidden. My impression is that this is NOT the expected behaviour. Again, this can be worked around by Option-clicking the green button instead.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

1. Download 13.0.3 again today. We made a silent update that may (or may not) help the 2nd monitor issue.

2. No, that is exactly what to expect. This is a feature, not a bug. When you're in full screen PDF mode everything is hidden except the PDF and the right pane (mostly so you have access to the note stream). Option-clicking is the right thing to do if you don't want that. Alternatively, if you're in full screen if you click on one of the icons that take you away from the PDF (e.g. show formatted), the reference and groups lists will reappear.

FYI, if you want to stay entirely in full screen but switch between references/PDFs, open the ones you want to move between as PDF tabs.

Jon
Sonny Software
JohnAtl

Post by JohnAtl »

Full screen on external is still broken for me.
The ref list collapses to about 1px tall (not a problem), but the pdf is displayed half way off the right side of the screen.
The ref list can be resized (as shown), but there doesn't seem to be a way to get the PDF to a workable situation.
Just updated BE.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 12.05.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 12.05.49 PM.png (210.59 KiB) Viewed 6628 times
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Please see this thread, especially toward the end.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4488

Jon
Sonny Software