Feature Request: Project Tagging

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
DarrenIngram

Feature Request: Project Tagging

Post by DarrenIngram »

In some situations, I only need references on a temporary basis and don't want them cluttering up the system. It can be that I do not fill in the extended information and just use Bookends as a transient "bare bones" reference manager, whereas my larger database is cleaner, tagged, keyworded etc.

Could there be an (easier/better) way to mark certain references to a project, with the aim that post-project I could very quickly delete ALL of them and their traces. It would be great if it could be a mouse click assignment on the "online reference" import screen as well as, for manual entry, somewhere in the regular record.

I don't want to use the existing colour options. Neither do I want to create a second database (or many for different projects) as some "existing" records from the "clean master database" will also be used. I would NOT assign these to the "temporary project" in any case.

I know there are "groups" but no way to add to them from the import window directly and I'd see groups more for the longer-term use. A hits list-type arrangement (project list) could be the closest analogy, but it remains sticky between load/unload of the app until deactivated.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Feature Request: Project Tagging

Post by Jon »

The answer is to use a group for this purpose. Call it Temp. There are three ways to import directly to this group from the online search window.

1. Select Temp in the library window. Do your online search and click Import -- the reference will be imported into Temp.
2. Select Temp in the library window. Drag and drop the reference from the online search window onto the library window. It will be in Temp.
3. Drag and drop the reference from the online search window onto Temp itself in the groups pane.

Delete Temp when you're done with it (or just empty it if you want to reuse it).

Jon
Sonny Software
DarrenIngram

Re: Feature Request: Project Tagging

Post by DarrenIngram »

Thank you for suggesting a feature application I hadn't considered or acknowledged earlier. Perfect!