Editing/deleting iOS markup on Bookends Desktop

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
MattN

Editing/deleting iOS markup on Bookends Desktop

Post by MattN »

Is it expected to be possible to edit/delete iOS markup (made with Apple Pencil) when using macOS?

I've added a number of handwritten notes to a PDF using the iOS app. These scribbles sync fine to macOS, but (unlike highlights) I am not able to edit them in any way on the Mac. Neither when using Bookends, nor if I use Preview to view the same PDF.

Is this the expected behaviour for handwritten markup? I am using macOS El Capitan.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Editing/deleting iOS markup on Bookends Desktop

Post by Jon »

You can edit PDF notes and comments, and delete underlines and highlights. You can't select or manipulate any other type of annotation.

Jon
Sonny Software
MattN

Post by MattN »

I've been doing some testing, and it is possible to use AdobeReaderDC to move/delete handwritten notes on macOS.
Then save the file, and it updates the iCloud copy (and thus the Bookends copy too).

Jon: Which built-in PDF rendering engine do you use for Bookends? (I have to say that it is very good and very fast compared to native Preview which seems to have got progressively worse since Snow Leopard).
Last edited by MattN on Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

PDFKit. Preview uses it, too, but has special ad hoc code as well.

Jon
Sonny Software
MattN

Post by MattN »

Interestingly, after saving in AdobeReaderDC, the handwritten annotation has now become clickable inside Bookends macOS.
It brings up a red box, with a red checkbox, but I am unable to type within it. So it looks like support is partially there within the inbuilt PDF viewer.