Custom File Renaming Tutorial

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
fieldnoise

Custom File Renaming Tutorial

Post by fieldnoise »

Hi all,

Searched these forums and the User Guide, but I cannot find clear instructions for *creating* a custom renaming format and then having it appear in the preferences pane (alongside "Author Date" and "Title"). I also can't find files for those formats in ~/Library/Application Support/Bookends to try to copy. Any help would be much appreciated!
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Custom File Renaming Tutorial

Post by Jon »

Look up the section on formats. You open the Formats Manager, select the one you want to use as the base, then click the + button to name and create a new one (it will be stored in the Custom Format folder). Edit that.

Jon
Sonny Software
larilela

Post by larilela »

Hello, can you provide some more detail on how to do this? e.g. I don't understand which space from the formats manager is used as the input to create the file name, when you use the custom format for renaming. More specifically I have been trying to create my own renaming format but haven't managed to get rid of the author's initials, which are always part of "a". I would like the naming format to be something like

Author_YYYY_The-title-hyphenated-without-any-special-characters.pdf
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Please start with this video tutorial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CowJRIu ... load_owner

The read the PDF tutorial (User Guide).

In the format, tell Bookends to output just the Surname (Surname Only).

Bookends won't put hyphens in the title for you.

Jon
Sonny Software