Timeout importing 50 Sente references

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
JimB

Timeout importing 50 Sente references

Post by JimB »

I'm moving 3100 references from Sente to Bookends. I'm following instructions on page 421 method 1. in the Bookends User Guide. But I have not been successful importing more than 10 or so references at a time. I selected 50 for example, and received [img]BookendsImport_AppleEventTimedOut.jpeg[/img]

a "Sente6 got an error: AppleEvent timed out" message.

What can I do to avoid importing my library 5 or ten references at a time. Sorry if I missed the answer to this somewhere. I appreciate your assistance.
Attachments
BookendsImport_AppleEventTimedOut.jpeg
BookendsImport_AppleEventTimedOut.jpeg (36.06 KiB) Viewed 3669 times
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Timeout importing 50 Sente references

Post by Jon »

One of Sente's little bugs.

Export the entire Sente library as SenteXML and import that into Bookends by drag and drop. It's the second method for Sente outlined on this web page

http://www.sonnysoftware.com/bookends/t ... mport.html

Jon
Sonny Software
jhbCO

Post by jhbCO »

I'm running into a related problem importing from Sente. Most of the time when I try to do it, I get a pop-up from BE saying "Error. XML parser error 4: not well-formed (invalid token)". I get this message using both of the recommended import options (importing directly to BE and exporting an xml file from Sente). Any tips on how to handle this?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Another Sente bug, I'm afraid.

You can export the XML file and validate it online. Then when you know what the problem is, you can either

1. Open the XML file in a text editor and fix it

or

2. Delete the problematic file from Sente and then export as XML again.

Google for "validate XML" to get lots of web sites that will do this for you.

Jon
Sonny Software
jhbCO

Post by jhbCO »

sorry for my lack of knowledge -- I figured out the validator online, but my xml file is too big. Since I don't know much about code, I don't know how to chop it into smaller pieces for validation. In other words, I'm still stuck.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

You can't chop it up or it won't validate. If you can't find a web site that accepts your file try exporting from Sente in chunks of a few thousand references (or whatever is small enough for those sites).

Jon
Sonny Software