Orphaned attachments/unattached attachments

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
alanterra

Orphaned attachments/unattached attachments

Post by alanterra »

Hi

I have migrated from Sente, and there are (of course) lots of things to fix up.

For some reason I have a lot of orphaned attachments (orphaned = references for which Bookends thinks that it should have an attachment, but can't find the attachment), which I think are mostly missing from my computer for some reason, but I am still trying to figure this out.

But my second question is there any easy way to determine that I have unattached references (pdfs in my attachments folder which Bookends doesn't know about)? I'd like to confirm that there aren't any, or if I do have some, put them in the right place.

In Sente I would do this by moving the attachments folder to a new place on my computer, and seeing which pdfs Sente neglected to move. I'm not sure if a similar scheme would work for Bookends.

TIA
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Orphaned attachments/unattached attachments

Post by Jon »

If I understand you correctly, you could point Bookends to a new default attachment folder and then do a Global Change -> Consolidate Attachments. Bookends will move all the attachments it can find to the new folder -- the ones left behind were never attached.

Also, to be sure, you're aware of the two features geared toward orphaned attachments (attachments that Bookends can't find)?

1. Select References with Orphaned Attachments

2. Global Change -> Remove Orphaned Attachments

Jon
Sonny Software
alanterra

Re: Orphaned attachments/unattached attachments

Post by alanterra »

That is exactly what I need. I'll do it some time when I can wait for Bookends to finish.

Yes, I have found the references with orphans, and I am about to kill them ("No, don't kill the orphans!") as I have convinced myself that they were orphaned in Sente, and not somehow lost in the import.