Synchronizing metatags

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
alanterra

Synchronizing metatags

Post by alanterra »

Hi

Since an earlier posting was written in April 2017, Bookends seems to have implemented synchronizing reference colors (which I think of as status), which is great. This post also asked for synchronizing metatags, the response to which seemed to say "don't count on this happening."

I must say that it would be very useful to have metatags synchronized. They are awkward to input, and it seems unfortunate to have to do it twice (and twice without errors, which is very difficult to accomplish).

Perhaps this setting could be moved out to a separate file, the way that Custom Formats etc are (in the Bookends folder that can be shared via Dropbox, etc.) It would be useful.

Thanks
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Synchronizing metatags

Post by Jon »

Bookends doesn't sync colors yet, or any other global setting. But it's something we plan. And metatags would be another example.

Hint: if you move the Bookends Preferences file between Macs the metatags will transfer, too. As long as you're using the default attachment folder (or one of the defined sync folders) to store your attachments, this shouldn't cause problems.

Jon
Sonny Software
alanterra

Post by alanterra »

Hey, cool.

Yes, I keep my Dropbox folders in "the same place" on both computers, so it should just work. I'll give that a try.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That won't work. Preferences MUST be where Bookends puts them in the Application Support/Bookends folder. At this time there is no automated preference sync.

Jon
Sonny Software
alanterra

Post by alanterra »

I meant--because the string saying where the attachments are is the same on both computers, I should be able to copy (by hand) preferences from one to the other. Just re-iterating your solution.

THank you!
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Yes, you can copy it between computers, and Bookends will find and use it if it's in ~/Library/Application Support/Bookends. No other location will work.

Jon
Sonny Software