Change fields shown or their order in Edit Reference?

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
JohnAtl

Change fields shown or their order in Edit Reference?

Post by JohnAtl »

I use User15 for a Location field (my filing location).
Is it possible to remove fields I never use (e.g. Translator, User4) from the Main tab, and put Location on that tab, rather than on the Additional Fields tab?

Thanks,
John
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Change fields shown or their order in Edit Reference?

Post by Jon »

No, you can't move fields between tabs. You could of course repurpose User1 as the Location field (rename it as such in preferences).

Jon
Sonny Software
JohnAtl

Post by JohnAtl »

User1 is already used as Key when importing/exporting with BibTeX, BibDesk, etc.
That leaves User4, which is off the screen on my laptop and external monitor, so doesn't help either.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Like a lot of people you are using the edit pane to read the references metadata. This is OK, but not what it's intended for. To read the reference metadata you're really better off using the Summary view. And you can configure that any way you like, to show whatever you like in any order. You can edit data in the Summary view as well. Why not try setting up the Concise Summary view? If you have questions I can help.

Jon
Sonny Software
JohnAtl

Post by JohnAtl »

I wound up repurposing the Translator field to be Location, and used the DB utilities to copy my info over.
I'll have a look at the summary. I didn't realize info can be edited there.
Thanks,
John