Unscan problem in Word (after Mellel conversion)

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
iljajj

Unscan problem in Word (after Mellel conversion)

Post by iljajj »

Hi all,

I think I've seen some problems that are similar to mine but in order to keep the discussion focused, please forgive me for starting a separate thread. Moreover, I am not certain whether the key to fixing my problem lies with Bookends, or Mellel, or Word. I decided to start here since this appears to be the most useful forum of the three, and I'd like to try everything before having to resort to Microsoft support (shudder).

Last year, I defended my PhD thesis, and a major US university publisher offered to publish it as a book. Great news sofar. The problems started when I converted my document from Mellel, which I had used up to that point, to Word – the publisher's preferred format. Instead of unscanning first, I apparently converted the whole thing into Word, opened it into Word, and then started to edit. I didn't realize my blunder until later, when I had already spent well over a month editing the document. Alas, it now seems that I have to change the citation formats, and I have difficulties in doing so.

Unscanning in Word appears to have no effect: the field codes (e.g., {ADDIN BEC{Preston, 1993, #18625}}) stay unchanged. Can anyone give me a hint about how to solve this?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: Unscan problem in Word (after Mellel conversion)

Post by Jon »

Please turn off showing the field codes in Word -- I don't know if showing them affects the unscan.

Also, you don't say what version of Word or Bookends you're using. Make sure that the unscanned document isn't in the clipboard -- after the unscan do a Paste (Command-V). See if the unscanned document is there now.

Jon
Sonny Software
iljajj

Post by iljajj »

Hi Jon, sorry 'bout that': Word 2016 / Bookends 12.8.4 (haven't updated yet). Hiding the field codes seems to make no difference, though.
ealvarezqc

Post by ealvarezqc »

Mellel 4.1 should offer a better support for exporting in Word format. The release is near. So it might help.