One library or many libraries

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
johnlaudun

One library or many libraries

Post by johnlaudun »

I am still a fairly new user to Bookends, and I was just wondering how people used/organized their library/libraries. When I used Papers, I just kept everything in one big file. When I used BibTex, I tended to keep smaller, separate libraries.

In general, I prefer the "one big thing" that you then just search, but instead of going with my gut instinct, I thought I would ask here how people did things. If you made your choice based on a particular workflow, then I'd love to know more about that. I am interested to learn how to use the software better.
Jon
Site Admin

Re: One library or many libraries

Post by Jon »

We recommend one library, using groups (static and smart) if need be to keep track of different topics.

I'm interested to see what others think, too.

Jon
Sonny Software
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

With different programs over the years (EndNote, Sente, and now Bookends), I've always worked with one, big library. I've found this the easiest way to keep things organized.

That said, I could envisage a situation where users may wish to share libraries. I've known research group leaders upload an old version of their EndNote library as a starting point for new group members, but that library is obviously not kept up-to-date. Perhaps a research group may wish to keep a central, updated reference pool and jointly sync with that "group library," while keeping their own, personal libraries in parallel?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Cloud sync is for individuals, not groups (they would have to share the same Apple ID).

Jon
Sonny Software
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Sure, I realize iCloud sync would need to use an Apple ID, but I was thinking more generally. My comment was based on how people might want to use libraries (with current or future Bookends features), perhaps using other cloud/network storage options, not only iCloud. As there was a request to know what other users thought about the subject, I was hoping to help if I could by mentioning researchers' needs involving multiple libraries.
joseph_anton

Post by joseph_anton »

I've been working with one big library, but have always assumed that when I finish my current project and start working on a new topic, I'll create a new library to go with it.
johnlaudun

Post by johnlaudun »

joseph_anton wrote:I've been working with one big library, but have always assumed that when I finish my current project and start working on a new topic, I'll create a new library to go with it.
This. I've got a large current project that has multiple dimensions, and a number of possible outputs, but there's also a range of sub-topics that I sort of track.

For now, I'll go with the developer's suggestion and try the one library to rule them all. Thanks, Jon and Joseph.
alanterra

Post by alanterra »

So, I have thought a lot about this in a different, but similar, context: Lightroom Catalogs. It might be worthwhile to peruse this article https://www.lightroomqueen.com/one-or-m ... -catalogs/.

For me, it comes down to keywords—if there is significant (say > 40%) overlap in keywords between projects, then I would go with one catalog. But if the anticipated keywords are basically unrelated (one database on local history, another on peptide research), I'd keep them separate.