creating a reference library when you don't know the format yet

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
jwergin

creating a reference library when you don't know the format yet

Post by jwergin »

I'm working on a book proposal that is going to several different publishers, with different citation formats. Do I have to wait to create the library until I know what format will be used? Thanks. Jon W
Jon
Site Admin

Re: creating a reference library when you don't know the format yet

Post by Jon »

No. The metadata are the metadata, regardless of how they might be used. They're output is determined by the format you choose. That's one of the main features of reference management software -- the same data can be output in many different ways.

Jon
Sonny Software
jwergin

Post by jwergin »

Understood. The question is, given that some formats call for first names, others initials; or some capitalize titles and others don't, how should these be entered in the library? Will the program automatically convert from upper case to lower case, or create initials from full names?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

Enter as Surname, First Names/Initials

Smith, John D
Smith, JD

etc.

Bookends will automatically convert case (for authors this is mostly useful for Small Caps, since you'll probably enter names correctly capitalized already) and will create initials from full names (but not vice versa, of course).

Jon
Sonny Software