online search problems

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
rhaynes99

online search problems

Post by rhaynes99 »

Hi folks, a couple of issues getting started with online search (bookends browser seems to be working fine with ezproxy...).

Google scholar returns no results via online search - it pops up a menu saying how much matches and asked me to limit returns but then proceeds to say "Done. Received 0 of xxxxxx total" in the bottom left corner.

Pubmed works! (but I am a mathematician!)

Web of Science .fltr returns no matches for ip xx.xx.xx.xx (with some numbers)

Do I have something borked in my settings ?
Jon
Site Admin

Re: online search problems

Post by Jon »

Google Scholar is working. If you've done a bunch of searches it may think you're a robot. In that case you'll be able to search again in 24 hr.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3334&p=20222&hilit= ... lar#p20222

PubMed is for biomedical research or medicine, not mathematics.

WoS is returning the same for me at a location where I don't have access privileges. That may be the way it now responds if you don't, or it may be their servers are acting up. I'll be able to check again tomorrow.

Jon
Sonny Software
rhaynes99

Post by rhaynes99 »

At work - where I do have web of science access the .fltr still fails with

"User has no entitlement for this service level WOKSearchPremium"
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

That means your institution hasn't paid for this service. Bookends doesn't support the 'lite' version of WoS, which provides little information.

Jon
Sonny Software
rhaynes99

Post by rhaynes99 »

Hi - interesting I didn't think we had the "lite" version .. .here is what the library's webpage says:

Web of Science Core Collection
Internet access available to MUN users only.
Coverage: 1900-present available online: User Guide
Index, abstracts - World's leading citation database, covering authoritative, multidisciplinary content from 10,000+ high impact journals worldwide -- Covers sciences, social sciences, arts and humanities -- includes Open Access journals and over 110,000 conference proceedings.

Is this the lit version? how do I know ?

I guess at this point I am trying to decide if BE is worth the effort and time given my local environment. Some things are working but I don't know if it config issues/proxy etc that is holding me back.
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

WoS is sending the reply that you're not entitled to search that database. If you think that's in error, you'll have to contact your library (and they may have to contact the WoS people) to find out if this is their error. In the few cases where I know that users pursued this it turned out the library was only paying for the lite version. This is for direct searching using their APIs, BTW. It may not apply to searches via a browser. If you try with Bookends Browser (or a real browser) you might find you have access to the full database.

Jon
Sonny Software