App Translocation Error Message

A place for users to ask each other questions, make suggestions, and discuss Bookends.
alanterra

App Translocation Error Message

Post by alanterra »

With the newest version of Bookends, 13.0.7, my firewall (Little Snitch) now says that Bookends is running in "App Translocation Mode". Among other things, this means that any connections I allow it need to re-allowed every time I launch the app. I know what App Translocation Mode means, I think, but I haven't been able to find out anything about how this error happens, or what to do about it. One other app (also "drag-installed") on my computer is showing this behavior. (And, yes, I did install Bookends into the correct spot: /Applications/Bookends.app).

Thoughts?

Mac OS 10.13.3
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 18.39.21.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 18.39.21.jpg (125.04 KiB) Viewed 2872 times
Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 18.39.26.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-03-19 at 18.39.26.jpg (124.04 KiB) Viewed 2872 times
Jon
Site Admin

Re: App Translocation Error Message

Post by Jon »

Nope, no ideas. Bookends is properly signed (you can confirm that in Terminal) -- nothing has changed in 13.0.7 compared to, say, 13.0.6. If another app is showing this then Little Snitch may be wrong, or there's some local issue on your machine. You can download and install 13.0.7 again and see if that makes any difference (I'd reboot the Mac first).

Jon
Sonny Software
alanterra

Post by alanterra »

So, this is beyond my paygrade -- I really don't understand this discussion, but perhaps you will, Jon.

I did confirm that the app was properly signed, and I did reboot.

I then launched Bookends and, as pointed out in this link, https://blog.obdev.at/gatekeeper-and-li ... tch-rules/, I saw that the path to the Bookends app (shown in as the fourth line in "Open Files and Ports" in Activity Monitor) started with "/var" -- which means that the app had been launched using App Translocation.

I then executed the fix shown at in the link above

Code: Select all

sudo xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine "/Applications/Bookends.app"
and the problem was fixed.

As I said, I don't really understand it. I wonder if it is something to do with my computer, or with a change made recently to Bookends?
Jon
Site Admin

Post by Jon »

As pointed out in that link, once the user moves the app to the Applications folder the quarantine should cease. Since you downloaded Bookends yourself (it wasn't initiated by us) and moved it Applications, it should run without translocation. I don't know what the problem was (glad it's fixed), but it seems for some reason quarantine wasn't lifted in your case.

Jon
Sonny Software